Known as Bellerton or Ford Green. Four shafts were sunk in 1860, but No. 4 Shaft which was basically used as a pumping shaft was disused but still open in 1949. Number 2 and 3 shafts were deepened in 1881 whilst Number 1 shaft was deepened in 1888 to become the Coal winding and downcast shaft with numbers 2 and 3 shafts being twin upcasts.
In the latter part of the last century an extensive ironworks and by products plant was constructed and subsidiary industries such as a chain works and tar manufactuary were established. Slag from these activities was used for road making from 1935 to 1955, but the tar residue caused pollution problems in the 1970's and had subsequently to be removed. A mineral railway was constructed from the Colliery to the Nettlebank Wharf which was just opposite to the gates to the Cemetery and close to the Green Man Pub.
In 1968 the Colliery was connected underground to Sneyd Colliery, by then part of Wolstanton Colliery to improve the Ventilation and to enable excess methane to be piped to the Gas Board via the Wolstanton range. With the proposed build up of output at the long life collieries in North Staffordshire a decision was taken to close the Colliery in 1976 and after a life in excess of 100 years the Colliery finally closed in 1977. Because of the underground connection to Sneyd Colliery, however, the shafts remained open for pumping purposes until the closure of Wolstanton Colliery in 1985.
See also Old Pits By Geoff Mould
BACK to MAP BACK to NAMES BACK to NORTON