The Colliery, owned by The Weston Coyney and Cinderhill Colliery Company was originally known as Weston Coyney Colliery. It dates from around the 1850's and by the end of the 19th Century there were 270 men underground and 65 on the surface. A rope hauled tramway was constructed by 1890 to a landsale wharf at the site of Meir Hay Colliery, Longton. The system survived until the closure of the colliery and the landsale wharf, subsequently known as Kendrick Street, was operated by the National Coal Board until the 1990's.
The company had gone into liquidation by the early part of the 20th Century and was purchased by the nearby Mossfield Colliery in 1908 who subsequently re opened the mine. A new washery was installed in the 1920's whilst Pithead Baths were opened by the mid 1930's.
The Colliery was taken over by the National Coal Board on the 1st January 1947 and became part of the No.1 North Staffordshire Area of the West Midlands Division. At this time output amounted to around 230,000 tons per annum with approximately 750 men on books. A physical connection was made underground with Florence Colliery shortly before closure in 1962 whilst in 1961 the Colliery produced 157,000 tons with manpower at 593.
The site is now an industrial estate and the Pithead Baths survives.
See also Old Pits By Geoff Mould
BACK to MAP BACK to NAMES BACK to PARKHALL