The Great Glen's official website of  



Select Team:          or                    or        
Section Links: Results     League Table     Progress Chart     Cups     Player Stats     Match Reports


 28th May: Hood beat Brighouse 2-1.        >>>>        21st May: Hood win 1-0 at Oxenhope.




Final League Position:
9th in Premier Division
P28  W11  D2  L15  F45  A63  Pts35

Biggest Win:
5-0 v Wyke Wanderers 14/5/16

Heaviest Defeat:
0-5 v Hunslet Club 7/11/15
0-5 v Wetherby Athletic 11/5/16

Top Scorer:
Scott Murgatroyd, 14 goals.


West Riding County FA
 Challenge Cup:

1st Round
West Yorkshire League Cup:
Quarter Final
 Leeds & District FA
 Challenge Cup:

1st Round

1st  TEAM  LEAGUE  RESULTS  2015-16

15 Aug A Pool W 3-1 Kitson(2), Pickering
19 Aug H Leeds City L 0-3  
22 Aug H Field L 0-1  
26 Aug A Hunslet L 1-2 Finlayson
29 Aug H Brighouse Old Boys D 1-1 M.Gould
02 Sep A Beeston St Anthony's L 3-4 Murgatroyd, M.Gould, Kitson
12 Sep H Wyke Wanderers L 2-3 Murgatroyd, Robertshaw
10 Oct H Otley Town L 2-4 M Gould, Murgatroyd
17 Oct A Bardsey* W 4-3 Finlayson(2), Pickering, Savery
24 Oct A Shelley W 3-1 Gould, Finlayson, Fisher
31 Oct A Carlton Athletic L 1-5 Murgatroyd
07 Nov H Hunslet L 0-5  
28 Nov H Oxenhope Recreation W 2-1 Finlayson(2)
02 Jan A Horbury Town L 1-3 Waller
20 Feb A Leeds City W 4-3 Murgatroyd(2), Claridge, Brown
12 Mar A Knaresborough Town W 1-0 Brown
26 Mar H Carlton Athletic D 0-0  
09 Apr A Otley Town W 1-0 Brown
13 Apr H Beeston St Anthony's L 0-2  
18 Apr A Field L 2-3 Murgatroyd, Robertshaw
23 Apr H Pool L 2-4 Murgatroyd(2)
27 Apr H Horbury Town W 3-2 Murgatroyd(2), Robertshaw
30 Apr H Shelley W 3-1 Temple, Finlayson, Robertshaw
07 May H Knaresborough Town L 0-3  
11 May H Wetherby Athletic L 0-5  
14 May A Wyke Wanderers W 5-0 Murgatroyd, Finlayson, Gaviao, Aston, Haigh
18 May A Wetherby Athletic L 2-5 Haigh(2)
21 May A Oxenhope Recreation W 1-0 Hancock
28 May A Brighouse Old Boys W 2-1 Murgatroyd(2)

 * Withdrew from the league.

Saturday games usually kick off at 2.30 (or 2:00 during the short daylight months),
and it's FREE admission, so why not come along?  Click HERE for a map to find the ground.


DATE:   31st May 2016  

Premier  Division:

1 C Beeston St Anthony's 28 23 2 3 96 36 60 71
2 Carlton Athletic 28 19 6 3 84 36 48 63
3 Field 28 20 2 6 74 43 31 62
4 Leeds City 28 18 6 4 76 44 32 60
5 Wetherby Athletic 28 13 2 13 76 57 19 41
6 Horbury Town 28 12 3 13 57 55 2 39
7 Hunslet Club 28 11 5 12 55 61 -6 38
8 Brighouse Old Boys 28 11 2 15 52 56 -4 35
9 Robin Hood Athletic 28 11 2 15 45 63 -18 35
10 Pool 28 11 2 15 46 65 -19 35
11 Shelley 28 10 3 15 49 71 -22 33
12 Oxenhope Recreation 28 9 5 14 52 67 -15 32
13 Knaresborough Town 28 7 5 16 48 58 -10 26
14 R Wyke Wanderers 28 5 3 20 28 85 -57 18
15 R Otley Town 28 4 4 20 26 67 -41 16

Clicking on a team link above brings up their results on the FA Full Time website,
or to see all the West Yorkshire League results and tables click  HERE.


  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30


West Riding County FA Challenge Cup

 03/10/15 Round 1 Grassington Utd A L 1 - 6

West Yorkshire Association League Cup

  Round 1 BYE      
30/01/16 Round 2 Barwick H W 7-1
02/03/16 Round 3 Shelley A W 1-1
(3-1 pens)
19/03/16 Qtr Final Brighouse Old Boys A L 1-1
(1-4 pens)

Leeds & District FA Senior Cup

19/09/15 Round 1 Beechwood Gate FC A L 1 - 2


1 Murgatroyd, Scott 25   14   1
2 Robertshaw, Kris 24 4   2
3 Brown, Christopher 23 1 3   3
4 Gould, Matthew 23   2   9
5 Pickering, Dale 19 4 1   1
6 Temple-Baker, Mark 19   1   4
7 Aston, Curtis 13 5 1   1
8 Finlayson, James 13 1 6    
9 Mattocks, Samuel 12 1      
10 Wood, Lee 12       1
11 Bridges, Daniel 10 2      
12 Mitchell, Paul 10 1     3
13 Smith, Matthew 10        
14 Garcia, Manuel 9 2   2
15 Claridge, Daniel 8 2 1   3
16 Ritson, Joe 7 1     1
17 Kitson, James 7   3    
18 Gaviao, Valnick 6 2 1    
19 Haigh, Alex 5 3 3    
20 Owen, Nathan 4 10     1
21 Hancock, Stephen 4 3 1    
22 Crowther, Ashley 4       1
23 Stafford, Jordan 4       1
24 Green, Marvin 4       2
25 Davis, Jason 4        
26 Duffy, Andrew 4        
27 De La Cursta, Pedro 3 6     2
28 Gould, Simon 3        
29 Maxted, Andrew 3        
30 Gill, Peter 2 2     2
31 Chibharo, Tinotenda 2 1      
32 Waller, Mathew 2   1    
33 McIlear, Brian 2        
34 Mitchell, Philip 2        
35 Fisher, Jack 1 4 1    
36 Sanderson, Scott 1 1      
37 Savery, Jermaine 1 1      
38 Myers, Jordan 1        
39 Robinson, Dion 1        
40 Stafford, Paul 1        
41 Dockerty, Jonathan 0 1      
42 Kwan, Derrick 0 1      
43 Mortimer, Adam 0 1      
44 Park, Calvin 0 1      


No match report.

Fantastic 0-1 win lads, 100% put in by all those brave enough to put their hands up to play in such an important fixture: Matthew Smith, Paul Mitchell, Matthew Gould, Andrew Duffy, Simon Gould, Mark Temple, Kris Robertshaw, Dale Pickering, Philip Mitchell, Alex Haigh, Steve Hancock, Scott Sanderson stood up to be counted and did Robin Hood Athletic proud. Not to dismiss the efforts of all the lads who have worked hard all year to put us in this position where we had a fight to battle in, but we were up against it in numbers and every single one of you stood tall, dug in and put your bodies on the line. A great effort all round and an honour to lead those lads did everything I asked for and more, showed that hard work, dedication and hearts of lions goes a long way. 2016/17 we WILL be playing in the West Yorkshire Premier League thanks to you boys, outstanding show gentlemen, well done and thank you. UTH

No match report.

Great attitude, effort and result fellas, well done one step closer!! Nice to see goals from 5 different players Scott Murgatroyd, James Finlayson doing what he does best on the scoresheet and Valnick Gaviao gaining a well deserved goal, Curtis Aston scoring from a free kick massively down to a genius managerial shout and especially pleased to see Alex Haigh scoring his 1st goal for the 1sts after an outstanding performance. The perfect way to shake off the midweek mauling by Wetherby!

Did Robin Hood deserve to lose this game 0-5?  The jury's out.  Hood had arguably more chances than Wetherby but couldn't put a single one away.  Wetherby took 5 of theirs, helped by some poor Hood defending it must be said.  And that's why Wetherby are in 6th place in the league whilst Hood languish in 13th just above the relegation spots.  Its a massive game against 14th placed Wyke up next, so time to dig deep and grind out a result guys.  The club needs it.

A decent battling display from Hood, but in the end Knaresborough were just a bit too strong for them and deserved the victory, but not as emphaticly as the scoreline might suggest. Knaresborough took the lead early on and that's how it stayed until half time in a defences dominated game. Hood created chances but the final pass, cross or shot was wayward or dealt with by a solid Knaresborough defence and the same was true at the other end too.
Some poor marking at the start of the second half allowed Knaresborough to double their lead with a good finish.  The game then opened up as Hood had to try to get back in it and Knaresborough had their keeper to thank on several occasions with smart saves to keep Hood at bay. A third goal was added right at the end which was rather unjust on Hood but that's football and Hood must pick themselves up and prepare for the midweek clash with Wetherby Athletic, knowing that they still need one more win to ensure their Premier safety.  UTH!

Hood took another big step towards Premier Division safety with this win over Shelley, but it was far from a walk in the park.  Hood welcomed back James Finlayson after a long absence through injury, and started the game well.  In was somewhat of a surprise then when they found themselves a goal behind.  But credit to Hood, they kept on playing good football and creating chances.  Dale Pickering should have scored when he was put through but somehow missed, but Mark Temple didn't from a similar position to level the score with a lovely strike from distance.  Hood were looking good on the ball, particularly Scott Murgatroyd and Matthew Gould, but giving Shelley a little too much space off it which fortunately Shelley couldn't make the most of.  It was Hood who took the lead, a Finlayson penalty after a foul and it stayed 2-1 until half time.
Early in the second half Hood's task was made easier as Shelley had a man sent off for a second bookable offence.  However, this seemed to have the opposite effect - Hood lost their shape and Shelley had a good twenty minute spell with keeper Lee Wood having to make a couple of smart saves, although Hood looked dangerous on the break.  Shelley kept pushing forward and eventually scored although it was ruled offside. Near the end a typical Hood counter attack was finished by Kris Robertshaw to secure the points, to the relief of the Hood fans.  Well done lads.

After a poor result at the weekend Hood went into this one knowing nothing short of perfect would do, and that is what they gave us. Working tirelessly throughout closing play down, breaking quickly and working hard for each other whilst producing some thoroughly entertaining football. A few changes saw Paul Mitchell start at centre back with top scorer Scott Murgatroyd back up top alone, he made the most of the chance by scoring a lovely loft to give the home side the lead. Horbury replied with a great cross and finish of their own soon after. 1-1 at the break.
A slower pace from Hood at the start of the 2nd saw lots of pressure but dealt with well, however Horbury took the lead for the first time, only for Scott Muragatroyd to hit back immediately after a fantastic mazey run from left back Curtis Aston. And so the grand stand finish, Hood showing their worth by digging in and pushing the higher placed side back. Their hard work paid off with 10 mins to go when Curtis Aston bagged a 2nd assist with a great through ball which Kris Robertshaw drilled home. Alex Haigh came and and looked lively working superbly for his team mates, the rest didn't give an inch and come full time 3 points were bagged and Hood had a well deserved win. What a difference 3 days makes!!! Outstanding display, enjoyed by all that came to watch, a jubilant changing room and the sort of football we have all come to expect from these top class players.

Hood let themselves down badly in this game in one of their worst performances of the season.  This was a shame, as Pool were there for the taking.  But too many Hood players had an off-day or didn't seem interested and Pool were sharper and better all over the park.  It was practically all over by half time with Pool 3-0 up by then. 
Hood did improve after the break but couldn't score until two quick goals by Scott Murgatroyd  late on gave the Hood fans a sniff of an unlikely point.  But in the final minute some poor defending allowed Pool to add a fourth to kill off any comeback hopes Hood may have had.  Hood are still 3 wins away from relegation safety with 8 games to go, and need to pick up that team spirit and work hard for each other to ensure survival.  You can do it guys!

Hood's match at league leaders Field, as with the Beeston game, was full of commitment and hard work, but just didn't quite have enough to get any points in a 3-2 defeat.  1-1 at the break, it was all to play for and Hood battled hard. Field certainly knew they had been in a tough game - the way they celebrated their third goal looked like they'd wrapped up the league title there and then!

Despite the result a fantastic effort was put in by all, some really nice football was played the game was enjoyable to watch. Some great things learnt from the management team such as the high quality of the younger lads at the club with outstanding performances from Alex Haigh and Nathan Owen, showing they are very much 1st team quality. The lads that have been in the mix all season again stepped up to the plate and worked tirelessly for one another, very pleasing to see despite a few key players missing we looked every bit as strong as we have over the past few weeks. If we carry this work rate and effort forward to next season we are showing we are a squad of players more than capable of challenging at the right end of the table.

A nice day for football saw Hood arrive at relegation threatened Otley Town knowing a win here would make huge strides to securing their own safety in the Premier League for another season. They started brightly playing out from the back and moving the ball freely and had full control of the fixture, however as the half progressed the tempo dropped and players became frustrated as they became 2nd to balls and became drawn into a scrappy battle.
A calm but frank half time chat gave the Hood lads the opportunity to get their game back on track, which they did for the 2nd period. Some better play saw them look a real threat going forward and were only ever really threatened by set pieces, which they dealt with superbly. Ironically it was Hood's own set piece that saw them break through and take the lead, a Scott Murgatroyd free kick fell for skipper Chris Brown for him to fire home for the 3rd time this season. The official in the centre was having a poor game whilst being assessed and halted the game repeatedly which, whilst annoying for Hood, was a real frustration for the home side stopping them gaining any momentum to work themselves back into the game. Another solid display from the Hood boys resulting in another clean sheet and 3 more points on the board, great effort all round during a difficult fixture.

Hood welcomed neighbours Carlton Athletic to a windy Coach Ground, expecting a tough game as it was not only a derby match, but Carlton are up in 3rd place in the league. 
Hood played into the wind in the first half, and as expected Carlton had more of the play and territory.  Hood defended well, keeping Carlton mainly to speculative efforts and looked threatening on the break.  Nothing much to separate the teams and neither goalkeeper having much to do.
The second half was more or less a mirror image of the first, with Hood having the possession and territory and Carlton relying on dangerous counter attacks. Carlton hit the post but Hood responded by hitting the crossbar themselves.  Both teams battling hard in difficult conditions, it was an entertaining game to watch but in the end a draw was a fair result. A good point earned lads. Well done..

No match report.

A big game with the opportunity to pull away from the very bottom of the league today, we did this..eventually. A slow start and being drawn into a toe to toe battle playing football that doesn't suit us saw a scrappy and edgy 1st half. Neither team really threatened but there was a constant threat that someone may get a lucky break and steal a lead, several decisions by the officials offered the home side the better chance of this, and a feisty feel to the fixture along with an opposition striker who appeared to have less ability than my 1 year old son to stay on his feet caused a few concerns.
Come the break and some realigning of what was expected saw Hood begin to dominate the fixture. Matt Smith asked to make only one save, which he did superbly during the 2nd period. Hood began to create better chances and look threatening, so with 20 minutes to go a dangerous ball into the box saw skipper Chris Brown make the most of the chance presented to him and Hood took the lead. We went on to control the game and frustrate the home side, they lost discipline and our professionalism showed as Hood saw the game out and earned a vital 3 points. We have worked very hard to get into the position we are now in, now the real work begins to ensure we remain there or higher.

What a game, what a performance and what a team!! Hood were fantastic for 120 plus penalties in a tough away cup tie to Shelley. The game started well with Scott Murgatroyd through on goal, however the ball skipped past the far post. Hood worked tirelessly to form a solid defensive shape and break quickly, they looked a threat on every occasion. The ref played a part in undoing the hard work by giving a terrible free kick on the edge - to be fair to Shelley they executed it superbly but annoyingly, despite superb resolve from the Hood team we trailed at the break 1-0.
They say great character shows the strength of a team and we brought it in bucket loads, working non stop, starters and subs, Nathen Owen and Manny Perez putting the fear of god into the Shelley backline from the bench, until the 89th minute when we got our just desserts with a Scott Murgatroyd equaliser.
Begin extra time, Lee Wood started his heroics with a fine save, Danny Claridge drew a big save from their keeper and Hood continued to dominate, moving the ball quickly, chasing everything and never giving up, in truth Shelley never got close bar the one shot. It however finished level and there were a lot of eager penalty takers, a nice headache to have! We chose 5...we only needed 3 and one solid shot stopper!!! It went - save, Claridge goal, 0-1, goal, Matthew Gould goal, 1-2, save, Perez goal 1-3, save and qualification!!! Superb performance, outstanding work rate and all round brilliant mentality, a very well deserved result against a revitalised but comfortably tamed Shelley outfit, well done boys. UTH

The game began with only twelve players making it to Adel due to late notifications of work commitments. The team talk was based around keeping a solid spine as we have been conceding to many poor goals straight down the spine. We also discussed not diving in and getting drawn into needless tackles in our half and the question was asked that everyone was ok with defending corners. Lots of nods and 'yeah we're sound' was fed back to the management so everyone geed up understanding how we wanted to play and the game began.
Within the first ten minutes we then proceeded to give away free kicks for needless tackles and we looked lost at corners when defending, resulting in Leeds City scoring from a corner! Typical! However 5 minutes later a ball dropped to Scott Murgatroyd,15 yards outside the area to the left hand side and he pinged it on the half volley. I was lucky enough to be stood directly behind the strike to watch it fly and swerve over the keeper. A sublime strike that gave us an instant lift. Leeds City then scored a 2nd following a long boot up the pitch from their keeper dropping in an area that we didn't deal with to well until after this goal. The player running on slotted past Matthew Smith. 2 1 down. Refreshingly, heads didn't go down and lads were listening to the sidelines to look at our shape etc. The midfield for the remainder of the half dominated their opposition with Dale Pickering working tirelessly in the space between midfield and the lone striker preventing Leeds City from playing out from the back as they traditionally do and forcing errors. Good play from Hood resulted in Danny Claridge coming inside from the right and letting a shot go - the keeper failed to shove it wide and Murgatroyd, who kept their two centre halves busy all game, followed in for a nice close finish. 2 2. Hood were now really starting to control the game but still making their own problems not being clinical dealing with balls in the final 3rd but definitely in the ascendancy. We had now settled into the game and looked to pass where possible resulting in the best team goal of the day a lovely ball through from Murgatroyd to Pickering who then cut back from the bye line for the on rushing Claridge to open his Hood account. 3 2 Hood.
 Half time came and more words were said around starting the 2nd half well and not like the first half. The 2nd half started and in similar fashion to the first with pressure coming from the Leeds City wing resulting in a cross that evaded us but not Leeds City - 3 3. Hood were starting to feel a few niggles, Danny Bridges feeling a few tweaks and James Finlayson's calf issues raising their ugly head again. Just as we were beginning to look at the sub to change it, Pickering had a clash of heads resulting in him seeing double. I think we all felt the impact of that one! Curtis Aston was brought on for him with Clardige moving into the centre of the park and Aston on the right. The boys that were feeling niggles manned up and dug in as we had no option. The fight was on and Hood took it to Leeds City. Claridge had a fine free kick saved, should have scored a 2nd from a flick on header going narrowly wide with the keeper beaten. Heading into the last 3rd of the game we looked the stronger team, you could see the improved numbers at training was actually paying off. The defence had wrapped up City's big striker who had notched so many goals last season. Chris Brown winning every tackle and HEADER against him. Everyone wanted to not get beat. Hood got a corner and following a sublime ball from Finlayson a goal was scored by Brown - it was a perfect reward for a captain's performance. Everyone then dug in to keep hold of what you had so deservedly got.
Special mention to Matty Smith in net for three big saves in the game. Bridges for sticking at it despite the first half and turning our performance around when others may of bottled it. Finlayson for continuing despite injury. And Sam Mattocks for bossing their winger 2nd half. None of you gave in. Everyone fought for the same goal. Couldn't be happier today boys. Thanks for getting Trevor that win.

After several weeks off it was nice to be playing football again, and the result today certainly made it a welcome return. In truth Hood were far and away the better outfit, the real task was to make that show on the field. Strong performances going forward ensured this was the case. Jack Fisher gave an early lead before Curtis Aston followed up a save to make it two. Jack again on the scoresheet before the break to hand Hood a 3-0 half time score, after some reasonable passing and good vision allowed Hood to take a grip on the game.
The break allowed us to discuss moving the ball swifter and getting it forward with more frequency, Scott Murgatroyd benefiting from this with 2 quick goals after the break.  This was soon to be a well deserved hat trick. Dale Pickering was through a few times before he was felled, the ref played on but he wasn't so lenient at the other end giving a free kick which was taken quickly for a Barwick consolation. Hood had become a little slow at tracking back and gaps were appearing, although Matthew Gould got in on the scoring before full time. A decent performance all round after a break but still areas to strengthen in. Onwards to the next round were we visit Shelley.

First game back after a long break saw Hood start strongly and really put some good pressure on the higher placed side. Working hard going forwards and reading long balls into the slight slope well saw Hood looking the better team. A corner saw Hood beaten though, Matty Smith slipped coming to collect on the wet, muddy pitch and the resulting ball was put away. From here Hood seemed to lose confidence and allowed increasing pressure onto themselves. The highlights from the half: a Matty Waller shot inches past the post and Scott Murgatroyd long range effort just going over. Horbury made their pressure pay and took a 2-0 lead into the break.
2nd half saw Hood become more competitive again and to a neutral the game was a decent display in poor conditions. End to end play from both sides eventually saw Hood strike the next blow, Matty Waller breezing through the Horbury defence this time slotting away, game on!! And so the midfield battle commenced, last ditch tackles, goal line clearances, shots from distance and blocks/saves all being thrown into the mix. Matthew Smith made some fine stops at one end whilst Curtis Aston was called offside at the other. Horbury broke away and gained the cushion again though. A formation change and re-jig of the players saw Hood push for the final 10 mins, Danny Claridge blazed one just over, Danny Bridges squandered a 1 on 1, cramp he says, we believed him...this time! As the game came to a close, Matthew Gould picked up his obligatory yellow card and the ref called time. Not a bad display but certainly not our best, work rates were good and the lads dug in to fight for points in the 2nd half, in truth small margins and it could have fairly been a draw but that is football. We now focus on next week and getting back to regular football...we hope. UTH!

Although the weather was horrible the Hood lads, with several new faces, took to the pitch with fantastic attitudes and it wasn't long before they began to dominate the fixture against the current County Cup holders. Every single player worked tirelessly to ensure points were in the bag by full time. Two great finishes by James Finlayson saw Hood take a 2-0 lead and despite an unfortunate deflected response from Oxenhope, Hood were in control. The second half was always going to be tough playing into a strong wind and driving rain, but again the lads stuck to task, looking after ball, moving it into the channels under pressure and breaking quickly when the chances rose. Matty Smith had some impressive saves to make in order to ensure the score remained the same as did Sam Mattocks clearing off the line, but equally at the other end Curtis Aston saw one come back off the bar and Matty Waller and Chule Garcia both had chances to extend the lead. By full time all supporters, management and players were cold and wet but nothing could dampen the spirits around the ground following a superb hard fought effort and a deserved three points. Onwards and upwards!

Horrible weather was equally matched with the way Hood started this fixture. Sloppy play all over the pitch saw the home side 2-0 down before the game hard barely started. Eventually we settled into the game and even created some decent chances but couldn't break through. Things could have been a lot worse but for a penalty save from Marvin Green. Hood managed to go into the break still in the game though.
A heated changing room at half time brought about a positive start to the second half and Hood looked like they may get back into the game and push on, but a break away goal put to an end any realistic fight back. The introduction of Nathan Owen lived up the attacking line, Hood went close from James Finlayson and Peter Gill but couldn't get the goal. 4 and 5 went in and Hood were left to rue a poor start and missed chances. Time to pick ourselves up, not feel sorry for ourselves and work hard. A rest from the league next week may do us the world of good, and a change in captaincy from the great midfield genius Kris 'Ezza' Robertshaw to solid centre back Chris Brown will give a different look to the side. Let's all hope we also get a change in results too.

Despite the result, the score doesn't truly reflect on what was a more even game at local rivals Carlton. It would be unfair to suggest that the side, now topping the table following today's result didn't deserve the 3 points on the whole but the 1st half had a lot to answer for on the overall result for several reasons. A very early missed chance, created very well from Hood could have given us a nice start to the game, however a very controversial penalty to the home side opened the scoring, given by what many questioned as too young a referee for this fierce fixture. The same ref bottled on pulling back a nasty tackle on Sam Mattocks on the half way line which directly led to Carlton's second,  In truth it should have been dealt with anyway but when Marvin Green's clearance hit the on rushing forward and settled in the net it felt like it was going to be one of those days.
At the break the boys gathered, gave their heads a shake and knew it was all still to play for and began a little better in the second half. Another controversial offside missed led to Carlton's third, but their fourth was top drawer. Marvin had made some quality saves of his own during the game, and at the other end Scott Murgatroyd displayed Hood's class with a fine strike that 'absolutely did not take a deflection' on it's way to the top corner. Jack Fisher and Nathan Owen made impacts from the bench (Sam unable to continue due to his earlier assault) and a very strong performance from Curtis Aston from the bench seemed to fire some life into Hood. The final 25 mins Hood looked strong, moving the ball better, finding their own players with direct passes, pushing Carlton back. This is the spell Hood need to focus on, take forward into coming fixtures and build upon, forgetting any negatives from the game. Carlton did find a 5th late on but there were positives to take from the game, mostly building blocks but enough to ensure heads won't drop. The lads will train hard again this week and go again at home to Hunslet next week. We hope for a good attendance to cheer us on, get behind the boys and force our way up the league.

Best pitch in the league, perfect football conditions and a good 3 points. Hood carried on from the confidence boosting win last week to another victory and getting back to the football we know we can play.  After a bright start and playing good quick football Hood could have had 2 goals but with Stephen Hancock ruled off side incorrectly and the Shelley goalkeeper making a great close range save it stayed 0-0. Hood kept playing the better football but couldn't quite find a pass in the final 3rd until around 30 minutes and after good play down the left the ball worked back to Matthew Gould, who struck from around 30 yards over the keeper into the roof of the net and a well deserved lead. Sadly Hood couldn't quite hang on until half time and Shelley scored a scrappy goal to go in HT 1-1.
Half time chat - keep playing quick attacking football, have some more shots, keep making them play long. Hood kept playing good football and James Finlayson scored the best goal of the game a half or full volley after good team play. Shelley kept throwing long balls into the box but the back four and midfield dealt with long balls and continued to play football out from the back. Jack Fisher hit the cross bar before he got the 3rd with a fine finish after good work from Jermaine Savery. All in all a good win building back the confidence and moving Hood up the table before a massive game next week.

The Hood arrived at Bardsey with hopes of a victory due to the home side struggling to find form. A positive talk in the changing rooms suggested a fast paced start would be in the offing, and it was, unfortunately in the wrong direction. Hood failed to settle and got caught repeatedly with balls played high into the channels. Sam Mattocks covered an impressive amount of ground chasing tirelessly and attacking as required. However after just 20 mins Hood found themselves trailing by 3 goals, none of which were particularly impressive, all of which we can take responsibility for, for not doing our jobs smartly enough in key areas. The boys showed that when they are up against it though they can dig deep and work hard. Two goals from James Finlayson and one from Dale Pickering pulled Hood level by half time.
Over the break some changes were made, Lee Wood off for Steve Hancock, and formation moving form 3-5-2- to a more traditional 4-4-2. This seemed to suit Hood who went on to dominate the 2nd half, putting in the shifts asked by the Management team at the break. Hancock held the ball up well, Matthew Gould broke things down in the middle, and the full backs, Mattocks and Danny Bridges, worked well with wingers Scott Murgatroyd and Pickering. Chances were coming and going, Gould sent just wide after a mazy run, the home side cleared from many crosses and the ref/assistant deemed a ball over the line did not quite make it. At the other end the odd break was dealt with better, Marvin Green leaving his area smartly to clear, Mark Temple and Chris Brown removing danger centrally. As time slipped away it felt like there was a goal left in the game but it wasn't coming - the game being broken up by the officials repeatedly. Jermaine Savery replaced Pickering adding strength and speed late on and it paid off as he bolted from his own half to join the attack in the box, chose to control the ball and then drive home, 3-4. A few minutes played out but Hood stood firm for the 3 points.
Overall a gritty game, where nerves and determination where required, it was pleasing to see the Hood lads can handle the pressure and come away with the spoils. A happier changing room at full time but still with plenty to do, let's use this as a means to drive forward.

A result that doesn't reflect the manor in which we played. As a club we just cannot get a break at the moment and decisions never appear to go in our favour. But as Chairman I am probably biased. A good chat with the players before the game seemed to return a buzz and some much needed chat. The news of the new manager watching from the stands seemed to switch people on and was refreshing to see lads speak up and want to turn the season around. A dressing room full of what I consider 'Hood lads' was great to be around.
A formation of 4 5 1 based on what I believed we had available and our style with a view to get the wingers to engage their full backs. A late change of players due to Joe Ritson not overcoming an injury meant a shuffle round with Danny Bridges coming in at right back. And he deputised well. The first half seemed to be a nervy first fifteen as the team settled and Matthew Gould and Kris Robertshaw finding their old partnership balance once again. We then began to work the left side through Sam Mattocks and James Finlayson working with Scott Murgatroyd and finding good pockets of space to get into Otley's final third. Peter Gill up top was working hard and found himself in a one on one within the first ten but just didn't seem to settle and the keeper scrambled the ball away.
Against the run of play an Otley player had a strike that was heading nowhere, struck one of our lads and cannoned up in the air to their player who was unmarked but we never thought the ball would get three but deflections are unpredictable and he was able to hit it on the full volley into the bottom corner past Marvin Green. Heads didn't drop and we regrouped and continued dominating the play and tempo. A ball over the top by Otley left Chris Brown chasing a ball with their striker who clattered into his legs resulting in what everyone believed was a foul apart from the ref who looked at the linesman and the linesman must of been looking else where. Shocking decision. Marv almost pulled of a worldy save but the striker managed to get his toe on the bouncing ball to make it 2 0. Again Hood refreshingly picked themselves up and kept going at Otley resulting in Dale Pickering scoring 2 goals but both ruled out due to offside but we were making chances. 10 mins before half time and through some smart play we won a penalty and Matthew Gould took ownership and slotted the ball home 2 1 and Hood were in the ascendancy.
Half time came and it was all positive talk and some great self belief. 2nd half started and Hood were playing football where Otley didn't get close to us and we levelled with a lob over the keeper by Murgatroyd following a quick break down the left hand side. However on one of Otley's few breaks we gave away a sloppy free kick bang in the middle of the goal ten yards out of the box. The Otley player struck the ball and it found its way through our wall and into the corner. This was the point that flattened us and Otley scored a well worked goal on a break soon after taking the score to 4 2. However we seemed to find a second wind and started to create a few chances. Finlayson had a chance to round the keeper but the ball just wouldn't run despite his best endeavours. Jonathan Dockerty came on in centre midfield and added some energy as cramps set in. We also had a brief look at Nathan Owen and Derek Kwan who came on and showed some good movement and lovely touches. Finlayson went tumbling to what we all believed was a penalty but not considered so by our club friend running the line. Where he was unable to notice Browny having his legs swiped he managed to see a dive from Finlayson and the referee changed his decision of a penalty to a free kick to Otley. A game that kind of sums our luck up this season - on another day free kicks are given in our favour and penalties awarded. Was good to see the lads having a drink after and enjoying playing but not being happy at losing.

I thought long and hard about writing this report. A thoroughly disappointing afternoon for all concerned. We can moan about the trek to get there, the poor pitch and facilities, poor ref, missing regulars etc, but in reality, we only have to look at ourselves, a mixture of individual and collective errors, poor defending from back to front and heads going down far too early because it wasn't going our way and we didn't seem to either know how or want to fight to get it back? But it's gone now.
The lads who travelled for the club didn't put in the performance we would have expected but at least they put themselves out for this club. And those same lads, plus those who were missing yesterday, can get it back on track. It isn't going to be easy and it might take a few more games until it turns, and we get a break, but it will because the quality is still here if you believe in yourselves and are prepared to fight for your mates and your club. Heads up boys, we all need to work harder, put the extra effort in for your benefit as well as the team. There will be plenty of doubters around right now, but only you guys can prove them wrong, stick together and the rewards will come.

A thoroughly frustrating and disappointing day against opposition who just seemed to want to kick push and cheat their way to a win. On a very small and poor pitch, a much changed, due to absences and late withdrawals Hood eleven battled everything thrown at them before finally losing by the odd goal. We knew what was coming as soon as we saw the venue and so it proved, but a good solid competitive start by everybody standing up to a huge amount of intimidation with no real protection offered by the referee, saw a fairly even game with very few first half chances and a 0-0 scoreline at half-time.
The second half carried on in in the same vein, with the growing number of corners and free kicks causing some concern. Finally the pressure told and one more set piece saw a header finally beat Lee Wood, one down. We got pushed back for a while and it looked like a second had been conceded with a tap in after a fine save down at his far post by Woody, but we were saved by the off-side decision. Finally we got going again, and a good knock down by Scott Murgatroyd bounced through to Stephen Hancock who buried a right foot drive over the keeper, 1-1 and game on. However in the end, another set piece did for us, another header and 2-1 down, which we couldn't recover from again. So another close defeat, but a lot of positive attitude and commitment on show today boys. Good performances from Woody, Jordan Stafford, Chris Brown, Joe Ritson and Danny Claridge battling all day at the back, Kris Robertshaw, Matthew Gould, Scott Murgatroyd, Steve Hancock and James Finlayson competing hard in the middle and Peter Gill And Warren Moore up front. By the way boys, you shouldn't have to play in circumstances and on another surface like that again this season!! Heads up boys, back to league action, and one good result will put you back on track. Thanks for your efforts today boys.
 D W

Another disappointing result for the First team . Against opposition also struggling to find results, Hood started brightly, with quick pass and move football creating a number of good chances during a first half when we pretty much dominated. but a combination of good defensive organisation by Wyke, excellent keeping and wayward finishing meant that all of the pressure went unrewarded and a very frustrating first half for Hood ended 0-0
The half time talk was all about carry on with the same again, get the first goal and others would follow, Wyke would tire and three points were there for the taking. But we didn't start well, Wyke pushed on a bit and we dropped further and further back, and the passing lost it's crispness. Still we made chances, Scott Murgatroyd crashing a shot against the bar with James Kitson unfortunately offside putting the rebound in. On the touch line, you thought a soft goal against the run of play might catch us out, and so it proved when some weak defending saw the ball bounce right across the box and then slotted in. Still, we pushed on with no luck and and almost identical goal soon followed, a good finish to put us 2-0 down.  A bit of a Hood rally in the last 10 minutes saw Murgatroyd slot home a far post header, but then as we pushed on for the equaliser, we got caught out with no defenders back and Lee Wood was beaten to a bouncing ball and a header outside of the box which trickled in, 3-1 down and all over!!?? Not quite, as there was still time for a late Kris Robertshaw screamer, not enough and a 3-2 loss at the end despite being not really deserved. But that's what you get when the ball does not bounce for you and confidence is low for some players.
As we said at the end, two choices boys, sulk and let it get away from you or stick together, continue to work your b******s off until it turns and you start getting the rewards your approach play deserves. You will then start doing to teams what you are more than capable of. Keep going boys, it will come.
 D W


 A tough looking fixture on paper, Hood knew they would have to be at their best to have any chance of coming away with the points.  And for the first twenty minutes they didn’t disappoint.  Hood were quick, challenging and inventive, and Beeston, surprisingly, were not.  Hood took an early lead through an excellent volley from Scott Murgatroyd, and then went 2-0 ahead when Danny Claridge was brought down in the box and Matthew Gould converted the spot kick.  The Hood faithful were in dreamland!  But it was short lived.  Beeston woke up and started pushing Hood back, and Hood struggled to clear their lines.  Rather inevitably, Beeston pulled one back and then equalised before the break.
The next goal would be crucial, and unfortunately for Hood it went to Beeston.  Hood now pressed forward with Beeston playing on the counter – it was entertaining end-to-end stuff.  Beeston caught Hood out on a 2v2 break to make it 4-2 and things were looking bad.  But Hood pressed on, fought ‘till the end and James Kitson got Hood’s third goal after Hood took advantage of a mix up between referee and linesman, to give Hood hope.  But Beeston are an experienced team and held on despite Hood looking the best team in the final 10 minutes as the light faded. A good performance from Hood, the spirit was there to see and they can feel rather unlucky not to come away with a point as there was nothing between the teams.
 G A

Brighouse converted their one chance of the game while Robin Hood played all the football.
First half was total domination by Hood, reverting to wingbacks it was a good display - massive credit to the lads who stepped up from the Reserves and proved they are more than good enough given match fitness. Youngster Peter Gill was given a start and was a constant threat, he'll hopefully become a top player. We played well and when Gill pulled the ball back superbly Matthew Gould finished well.1-0 up at half time with missed chances galore, the post hit and no threat from Brighouse.
Second half Hood were dominant in possession but were hit with a sucker punch from a corner. Brian Mcilear put a real shift holding midfield and Chris Brown has been a real positive since stepping up this season. No matter how many chances we had we just couldn't convert and get the winner.
That's it from me as I step down as First Team Manager. I've loved my time as Manager but it's time to let someone else come in with new ideas and a few new players. Hopefully a better attitude to training and give everyone a clean slate. The club is superb and I'll still be around on the committee and look to help the club as chairman of our junior section so we can develop our own talent. Thank you to all the players who've played for the club in my time, good bad or ugly. It's been a pleasure. Massive thanks to the committee, Martin and everyone who's allowed us to progress. I'll be supporting the ressies next Saturday...UTH.
 I W

No match report.

A disappointing result..but with only one sub and a decimated squad we can again take pride in our competitive second half display.  The first 20 was nip and tuck before a Field free kick led to a goal mouth scramble which was turned in. Field should have extended their lead but the half finished 1-0.
Second half again saw a more competitive Hood and whilst we were far from at our best, we hit the post through a fine Jay Davis effort and were desperately unlucky not to equalise. The last ten minutes were all excitement as Hood threw everything at Field in search of the equaliser but left themselves open to the Field's counter - end to end, the most surprising thing was that neither team scored as both sets of central defenders stood firm.  We know in our dressing room what is lacking, but today the second half effort was there and the players, some of whom really put a shift into get there, can look at themselves in the mirror knowing it's coming. Congratulations to Field, always a tough ask
 I W

A disjointed display from the team who beat Pool on Saturday. The game was won in the first half as Leeds City made best use of the wind.  First 20 there was little in it but Leeds City's better use of the ball began to turn the screw - approximately 30 mins in and Frankland opened the scoring for City with a worldly of a bending free kick. Keeper had no chance.  Our belief went too quickly and we had a very ragged ten minutes, we simply couldn't match City with their tails up and wind behind. An uncharacteristic mix up at the back allowed Frankland to head home for his second. Hood had a brief spell and a couple of half chances but when City made it 3 with the last kick of the half it was going to be an uphill task and not a lot of fun.
Second half we at least competed and could have pulled a goal or two back as we were guilty of having two many touches or looking for that worldly ball that City's defence could read easily and deal with. Not a great day at the office but any team finishing above Leeds City will win it in my opinion. We have to look to impose our game on teams and hope key returning players will help but this team is more than capable and need not feel sorry for themselves - they're all big boys who need to put it right Saturday when we welcome title holders Field.
 I W


Any away win in the WY Premier is always good. Especially if it's Premier new boys wanting to prove a point.  First Half Hood were much the better side, good quick feet and sharp passing. A back four of Joe Ritson, Jordan Stafford, Matthew Gould and Chris Brown looked comfortable and well in control. Scott Murgatroyd, Ash Crowther and Tino Chibharo provided quality in the midfield whilst the two wide men Dale Pickering and Jay Davis always looked a constant threat.  Up top, James Kitson, beginning to regain his fitness opened the scoring with a poachers goal and soon after doubled the lead.  Hood now looked rampant and looked like they'd run away with it..but then a rush of blood by keeper Lee Wood and the linesman decided that Wood's self protection was actually an act of assault and awarded a penalty - I'd like to see a replay! Pool converted the penalty and at 2-1 had a spell of corners that were well defended, but Hood were soon back in control and Pickering's 'Zidanesque' finish nestled in the roof of the net for 3-1 at half time and Hood were well worth the lead.
Second half was uneventful as legs tired, both teams had a couple of half chances as Hood looked to see out the game and were less adventurous. Danny Claridge came on to make his debut as he begins his search for fitness. Good performances from the back 4 and Tino working really hard.  The midfield and forwards will benefit from the match fitness and with two top drawer games up next.  Very pleased with the win.
 I W

  Latest update:1-6-16