Barry 2nds v Rhiwbina 2nds   


 Saturday 24th February 2007

Barry RFC


The Seconds led by Captain Dave HOBBS travelled over to wet and windy Barry to play Barry 2nds in a Cardiff and District League game.

The Seconds have had a fantastic season so far and after beating Old Illtydians 2nds last week in a bruising and uncompromising encounter wanted to continue their good run of form. The side had a number of changes forced on it through injuries and unavailability but still put out a strong squad to face a very big and committed Barry team.

Rhiwbina played with the wind in the first half and soon opened the scoring with a touchdown for Marchy on the wing after some good handling from the backs. The Rhiwbina 8 were putting immense pressure on their opponents pack with a veteran front row of Nelly, Hobbsy and Eugene leading the way and started to take strikes against the head and drive their opponents backwards. This led to a number of scrums on the Barry tryline and led to a pushover try for No 8 Rhys

The Squirrels further stretched their lead with a great try for outside half Richy Marshall who was in good form all game and who led the Rhiwbina back line with skill and confidence.

The Rhiwbina team led 15-0 at the turnaround and then faced the expected Barry fightback and the howling wind. To be fair to Barry they put us under pressure for some time without getting the breakthrough they deserved and were held up by great tackling from the Squirrels.

Then Rhiwbina moved upfield and a driving lineout saw them rip through the Barry defence and the waves parted for Hooker Matt Lord to dive over unopposed for the fourth and decisive try.

Great tackling from the forwards and backs almost kept Barry out but they got a well deserved late consolation try to end the game 5-20 .

Another good victory for the Squirrels with centres Pat and Girth putting in plenty of big tackles and opening the game up when necessary and keeps them well on top of their League and striving for promotion.

A big thanks to all the players and supporters who travelled over to the game on International Day and thanks to our hosts Barry for a great game and their welcoming hospitality.

Further thanks to cameraman Dave from Devilgas for allowing us these photos for our website. Check out his website for further photos and the chance to purchase some prints. They are much better than my efforts!