S   Canton v Rhiwbina    


Div 5 SE League Fixture

Sat 20/01/07


Rhiwbina travelled across to the West of the City to play our local rivals Canton who have been having some good results lately and have been in the top 4 of the League. It was a small miracle that this game went ahead with the manic weather we have been having and the Ref was to be congratulated for letting the fixture go ahead.  The pitch was very heavy but the wind was the most important factor as it howled across the park in incredible gusts. Rhiwbina decided to play into the wind in the first half and were forced to run everything as kicking was impossible.


The Squirrels got off to the best of starts as they took the ball upfield in a series of rolling mauls that led to a try in the corner for flying wing Garth Adams who literally 'used his head' to get a valuable score. The try went unconverted.

Canton then had two players sinned binned as the red mist came down and Rhiwbina took advantage for Mark 'Maldwyn' Lee to crash over from a backs move for his first try that also went unconverted. The Squirrels were 10-0 up in the first quarter and seemingly in control with the scrum demolishing the bigger Canton 8. But Rhiwbina then proceeded to force the game too much and dropped a bucketload of passes and conceded possession too easily to let Canton back in the game. Canton got an unconverted backs try in the far corner and closed the gap even further with a penalty in front of the posts. 8-10 at half time and everything for both sides to play for.

With the huge advantage of the wind in the second half Rhiwbina finally got back into gear and the forwards piled on more pressure in the scrum and lineouts to create an overlap in the corner for wing Justin 'Gluets' Silva to dive in for an unconverted try.

This began to put daylight between us and Canton and a series of unstoppable driving lineouts near Cantons line led to two tries for the Phillip Enis 'Man of the Match' Lock -Andrew Dugdale. Duggy also had the longest kick of the game a 55 metre howitzer from in front of his own posts to clear our lines late in the second half and showed Salty how to do it!

Not to be outdone the backs ran at Canton and Mark Lee got in for his second just towards the end of the game. Canton never gave up and tackled like demons throughout the game and pressed hard for a second score in the last few minutes but fantastic cover tackling held them out.

Rhiwbina claimed another victory 30-8 with 6 tries in conditions totally unsuitable for open running rugby. If passes had gone to hand in the first half they could have had a few more tries and as none of the conversions got anywhere near the uprights in the gale they can feel reasonably happy with the score.

This extends Rhiwbina's unbeaten league run to 13 out of 13 games.

Next week is a huge game at home against joint second place rivals St Albans. A big thank you to the brave band of supporters who turned up despite the awful conditions-cheers!


The New Clubhouse meeting with the Council is now rescheduled for 6.30 pm Wednesday 31st January 2007 and NOT this coming Tuesday. Could everyone pull out all the stops to attend this meeting and show support for the project.


Final Score

Canton RFC 8-30 Rhiwbina RFC




  S    Rhiwbina 2nds v Canton 2nds   


Whitchurch Hospital,


In very muddy and wet conditions the seconds played only their second game since Dec 19th. It was never going to be a pretty game and so it proved.The first half belonged to Rhiwbina with good forward pressure resulting in tries for the flying 'Luft' Swaffer and Wayne Evans.

The second half started in much the same fashion, a long rolling maul led to Tony Bartlett taking the ball on a blind side move, with one man to beat he shocked everyone and passed(we all knew if we played long enough we would see him pass now a lot of us can retire contented)to Vince who did well to keep up with him!

This led to Vince scoring the third try.The backs still bravely tried to run the ball but with out much luck.The loss of Dan with a broken finger didnt help the cause as the young Canton started to come back into the game. After about 20 mins they scored a deserved converted try.Rhiwbina continued to defend well.It was some relief when the final whistle went after what can only be decribed as a mud bath.

Rhiwbina just about deserving the win,not the best performance of the season but never the less a good result with a good debut from Rhys Roberts and fine games from Wayne,Rod,Mouse,Dan and a man of the match performance from Pat in the centre, every time he received the ball it took 3 or4 defenders to stop him.

Final score Rhiwbina 15 Canton 7.