Rhiwbina v Dinas Powys   


Div 5 SE League Fixture

Sat 17/02/07


Rhiwbina welcomed Dinas Powys to Caedelyn Park for the first time in many a year and hoped to put in a better performance than when we played them earlier in the season. Dinas were confident that they could turn us over and move further up the table and this made for an exciting game.

The game got off to a great start for the Squirrels who put Dinas under pressure from the kick off and soon cut them open with  fantastic footwork from centre Mark 'Maldwyn' Lee who rounded off  a great move with a try under the posts. This was converted by Salty.

Not to be outdone Salty then went on a run of his own following more slick handling from forwards and backs and outstripped the Dinas cover to score our second try and he duly converted the conversion. The flood gates appeared to be opening but to Dinas' credit they dug in and began to tighten up their defence at the breakdown and prevented the Squirrels from extending the lead. The Squirrels were forced to rearrange the backline following a 'nasty gash' to fullback Dave Brockways heavily gelled head.

Just as in the first half Rhiwbina got off to a flyer in the second and soon got more tries including one for wing Justin 'Gluets' Silva who had a number of good runs all afternoon and who got in at the corner after more good handling from the whole team. Salty missed this conversion.

The pack began to put the Dinas 8 under severe pressure and took many against the head before our opponents were forced to make replacements in the scrum for injured players. Rhiwbina took advantage of this by storming through the Dinas defenders to get a well worked try under the posts for second row Liam 'Deckchair' Neal. Salty got the conversion.

Dinas then scored a breakaway try against the run of play and got the conversion. The Squirrels got the final word with a great length of the field try started by flanker Ed Hampson who did superb work to turn over a Dinas attack and the ball went through many hands before being taken into the far corner by a rampaging Roy Pestostaccio who skillfully fed the ball to an airborne Salty who dabbed the ball down to get his second try and got the conversion and to take his points tally to 18 points for the game.

Great performances from the whole squad including Hank Huntley but the Brian ELLEND Man of the Match Award went to Mark LEE for his fantastic footwork and angles of running and for playing the whole game whilst feeling unwell-Quality Maldwyn!

Final Score:

Rhiwbina 33-7 Dinas Powys

This game was dedicated to MAX!

This has extended our record breaking League run to 16 out of 16 wins and we only need 1 more point from the remaining 2 games to win the League outright.

A Big Thank You to Salty and Brinky Snr and Jnr for the hard work they put in for the Race Night-this helped us raise nearly 1000 towards the New Clubhouse Fundraising Appeal and thanks to everyone who turned up to support the event on the night and who donated prizes.

Good Luck to Liam who is off to New Zealand for a few months!

The next game is at home on Sat 3rd March against Deri and the Scrum 5 cameras and Rick O Shea will be present to do a feature on the club. I hope everyone will turn out to support us as we could secure the League Title on that day.




 Other Results


Before today the last time the Old Illtydians had lost was against Rhiwbina in September. So a much improved side turned out to play today. Rhiw found themselves camped in their own half for most of the first half, only some heroic defending kept the Illts out. In fact Rhiwbina could have taken the lead just before the break when Chris Boughton was stopped just short of the try line. Comfortable on their own scrum ball Rhiwbina managed to take a number against the head, along with a good supply of line out ball from Rhys and Jonny made life a little easer for the Rhiwbina halfbacks Gareth and Rod, Half time 0-0.From the restart Rhiwbina pressured the Illts catcher who dropped the ball, this started a exciting passage of play with the ball being recycled time and time again. The ball then moved along the backs to Virgil who danced off his wing to give a good off load to Pat in support. Pat rumbled to the line with three defenders hanging off him, slipping the ball back to Virgil for him to score on the right Rod converted from wide out. The game continued to be hard and uncompromising, with Rhiwbina unlucky not to score a few more points, credit for that to the Illts defence. Final score Rhiwbina 2nds 7 Old Illtydians 0. The score surgests this was a drab affair, nothing of the sort, the game was played by two very committed side that made for an entertaining game with Rhiwbina deserving their 15th victory out of 17 matches so far this season. Man of the match award, thats easy all 19 players!


To quote Chucka:

'The 3rds battled valiantly against St Joseph's 2nds with only 14 players and at one stage with 13 against 15.The last 10 minutes of the first half was spent camped on the Joe's line. In the end the only difference was the fact the Joe's play together every week.The Squirrels pack was outstanding with John Payne playing at tighthead prop-now you know why Eugene is so handsome!!

Once again a great performance against stronger opposition-a special mention to the m.o.m. Mr.M.Bloodworthy-remember the name-definately a first team player in the making-awesome tackling! '


The Youth were severely understrength today and struggled to get a full team but credit to Captain Tom' Future Chairman' Meatyard and everyone who turned out to play -even down to 13 players at one point -the Squirrels still had too much in the tank for Old Illtyds Youth and ran out worthy winners 24-12 at Whitchurch Hospital.

Another cracking result for the youngsters and puts them in a good frame of mind for the upcoming Youth Cup game!