The Scientific Lodge was established at Cullingworth on the 21st Day of November
1836. The first W.M. (Bro. John Craven Taylor) was installed on the same date,
the meetings of the Lodge continued to be held there until the end of 1839: the
last meeting at Cullingworth being held on the 23rd day of December 1839.
Subsequently the Lodge was moved to Bingley, to Rooms adjoining the Fleece
Hotel, April 20th 1840. W.Bro. John Craven Taylor was installed Master for the
second time. The Lodge Rooms were consecrated on June 23rd 1841, by the Right
Worshipful Deputy Provincial Grand Master of West Yorkshire (Bro. Charles Lee.)
The Lodge was again removed to New Rooms over the Building Society's Offices,
Park Road Bingley, April 2nd 1910, and were officially opened by the Right
Worshipful Deputy Provincial Grand Master of West Yorkshire (Bro. Richard
Wilson) October 5th 1910.
Owing to the increasing membership of the Lodge and a formation of a Daughter
Lodge, (Priory 4671) the old Rooms were unable to provide the necessary
accommodation. The joint Lodges therefore purchased Fairmount House, Charles
Street, Bingley, and the plot of land adjoining and by reconstruction and
additional Building provided a suitable Home for Freemasonry in Bingley.
Removal was made on the 19th May 1930, and on the 18th September, 1930
following, the Lodge Room was dedicated by the Provincial Grand Master of West
Yorkshire (R.W. Bro. The Earl of Harewood, K.G., D.S.O., P.G.W.) in the presence
of many distinguished Brethren of the Province of West Yorkshire.
How to contact us.
The Worshipful Master
Scientific Lodge No 439
Bingley BD16 4LG