A leading architect of the Gothic revival, and certainly the most prolific. He was born in Buckinghamshire, and showing an early proclivity for drawing details of Gothic churches, was sent to train as an architect. He worked for the architect Henry Roberts and the builders Peto and Grissell before setting up his own practice. His output was astonishing - nearly 1000 buildings were designed by him and his firm. He was responsible for the Albert Memorial (1862-3), St Pancras Station and Hotel (1865) - one of the largest of all high Victorian Gothic buildings, and the Foreign and Colonial Office (1858 onwards, originally planned as Gothic by Scott, but then changed to Italian Renaissance style after a change of Government) on Whitehall. In Oxford, he designed the Martyrs' Memorial (1841), St John's College Chapel and Exeter College Chapel. He designed the General Infirmary in Leeds (noted on the page on Woodhouse Moor there). In Scotland he was the architect of the Episcopal Cathedral, Edinburgh, and Glasgow University (1865). He also worked on the restoration of various cathedrals, including Ely, Gloucester, Chester, St Davids, Salisbury, Lichfield, Worcester, and Rochester. And he produced a variety of smaller ecclesiastical monuments, for example the screen at Durham Cathedral.
Gilbert Scott achieved great eminence, becoming Professor of Architecture at the Royal Academy (1866-1873). Among his many pupils were G. F. Bodley, George Edmund Street and William White.
Top of pageArchitecture pages // Full list of artists