James Pennethorne (1801-1871)

The architect James Pennethorne appears here because of his most important building, the rear part of the current home of the Royal Academy, in Burlington Gardens, originally for the University of London, later housing the ethnographic collections of the British Museum, built 1866. Pennethorne was born and grew up in Worcester, coming to London in 1820 to study under Pugin and then Nash. From 1824-26 he visited and studied in Italy. He then returned to work for Nash, who at the time was working on Government buildings, and himself steered in that direction, passing the majority of his career as a government architect.

Pennethorne was responsible for the West Wing of Chambers's Somerset House, which he completed in similar style, and the layout of Kennington, Battersea and Victoria parks. His also is the Public Record Office, started in 1851.

Top of page

Architecture pages // Full list of artists

Home