The architect and designer Philip Webb worked an apprenticeship for G. E. Street, at whose practice he met William Morris in 1856. He set up an architectural practice in 1858, and in 1859 was the designer of the Red House, built for Morris. He joined Morris's firm two years later, as a designer of stained glass, furniture and metalwork, and through this became an important figure in the Arts and Crafts Movement in his own right. Together with Morris, he set up the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings.
Philip Webb specialised in country houses, in a very personal style with sometimes a tendancy to the Gothic, sometimes to Queen Anne revival, usually rather functional and without frills. Among his London town houses can be mentioned 19 Lincoln's Inn Fields and 1 Palace Green.
Top of page
Architecture pages // Full list of artists