Law Courts, by Street.
The architect G. E. Street was born in Essex, and was a leading apprentice of G. G. Scott from 1844, setting up his own practice in 1848. He established himself in London from 1855, and became an important figure, winning many architectural honours. He was a champion of the Gothic, and designed many churches in this style. His chief work was the Royal Courts of Justice (1868-81) in the Strand, London, (see the walk there), a large and important public building rather underappreciated today. Among his churches, in London are the excellent Victorian Gothic St James the Less in Vauxhall Bridge Road near Tate Britain, dating from 1860-61, and St Mary Magdelene (1868-71) in Delamere Terrace, Paddington. Apart from being a practicing architect, Street was an important teacher, becoming Professor of Architecture at the Royal Academy in 1879, and a writer, with books on architecture in Spain and Italy (he travelled extensively in Europe), and most influentially, Brick and Marble in the Middle Ages.
In addition to his influential books, many important later architects worked for Street at one time or another, including T. E. Collcutt, the Arts and Crafts architect Philip Webb, William Morris, and harbinger of a new reactionary style, Richard Norman Shaw.
Top of pageArchitecture pages // Full list of artists