The Newlyn School was a group of British painters who started the movement in favour of plein air in England, following the lead in France. The group was lead by Stanhope Forbes and Walter Langley (who was not French-trained). The Magazine of Art described the Newlyn painters as:
Not ‘colourists’ but rather ‘tonists’. Drawing, atmosphere, and truth of local colour (which is seen by them greyer and far colder than it is usually represented in paint and canvas) -these are the tenets of the new creed.
The main painters in the group were (alphabetically): Frank Bramley, Percy Craft, H. E. Detmold, Stanhope Forbes, Elizabeth Stanhope Forbes (nee Armstrong), W Fortescue, Norman Garstin, T. C. Gotch, Fred Hall, Edwin Harris, Ayerst Ingram, Walter Langley, H. Martin, F. Millard, Marianne Stokes, Chevallier Tayler, Titcombe, Ralph Todd and Henry Scott Tuke.
Both Walter Langley and T. C. Gotch visited Newlyn before settling there, but certainly the first artist to take up residence was Langley, in 1882. Edwin Harris was next, and then Fred Hall, Bramley, Gotch, Craft and Stanhope Forbes, in 1884. Stanhope Forbes quickly became thought of as the leader, and later was referred to as the founder of the colony. Several of the Newlyn artists were involved in the establishment of the New English Art Club in 1885/6. In 1899, Stanhope Forbes and his wife Elizabeth Stanhope Forbes founded a School of Art at Newlyn, and students there included Dod and Ernest Proctor. The second generation of Newlyn artists included A. J. Munnings, Lamorna Birch and Laura Knight, so that important artists were based in Newlyn through into the 1920s.
Other artists, not of the Newlyn School, also worked there, for example E. A. Waterlow.
Background // List of artists