The painter and sculptor Glyn Philpot was born in London and studied at the Lambeth School of Art from 1900. He exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1904, and in 1905 went to Paris to study under J. P. Laurens. He became ARA in 1915 and was elected RA in 1923. He became an important establishment figure, including a Trustee of the Tate Gallery in the 1920s.
Philpot's early work was as a portrait painter in the style of Sargent. However, from around 1930 he turned away from portraiture, producing at one time or another genre, mythological and allegorical paintings and religious subjects, as well as paintings and sculptures of African men which are his most familiar work today. He also produced some illustrative work, in the 1910s, concentrating Beardsley-fashion on masses of black and white.
Religious illustration by Philpot, 1915
There are several examples of his work in the museum in Brighton, and also in Hove and in Bristol. A portrait of the Marchioness of Carisbrooke (1925) and a picture of Napoleon on St Helena (1916) are in the Lady Lever Art Gallery, Port Sunlight.