Sculpture on Methodist Central Hall, by Poole.
The sculptor Henry Poole attended the Royal Academy Schools from 1892, and afterwards trained under Harry Bates and G. F. Watts. His own father had been an architectural carver, and much of Poole's work was architectural sculpture, much for buildings by the architectural partnership Lanchester and Rickards. Among his works for them include a group for Cardiff City Hall, decorative sculpture for Deptford Town Hall, the porcelain work for 144-146 New Bond Street, and the elegant high relief spandrel figures of angels for Methodist Central Hall, Westminster (see Parliament Square page). Alas, much else by Poole seems to have been destroyed along with the buildings he adorned. In Bristol is Poole's statue of Edward VII - in front is an excellent fountain with mermaid, merman etc - is this too by Poole?
Poole was elected ARA in 1920, and became full RA in 1927, an honour which he did not live long to enjoy.
Top of page
Sculpture pages // Other artists