Edouard Lanteri (1848-1917)

The sculptor Edouard Lanteri was born in Burgundy, and was sent to Paris as a boy to study music. But by age 14 he had turned to sculpture as his true vocation. He left France in 1872 to escape civil war, and settled in London, working as the chief assistant to Edgar Boehm (he in fact retained this post until Boehm's death in 1890). His work included various portrait busts, among which were artists such as Boehm, Alfred Stevens, and W B Richmond. His oeuvre also included ideal figures and sculptural groups.

Lanteri became professor at the National Art Training School, South Kensington, after Dalou, and was one of the more important teachers of sculpure. Among his pupils there were Albert Toft, Derwent Wood, and F W Doyle-Jones (the latter most familiar, perhaps, for his statues at the entrance of Waterloo Station). Portrait statues and busts by Lanteri may be seen in the National Portrait Gallery (e.g. the chemist, Mond), the V&A *(Beatrice), Tate Britain (his excellent 'Paysan') and elsewhere (e.g. Landau at the Laing Art Gallery in Newcastle). Good examples of his larger work include allegorical figures on the exterior of the tower of the V&A (Architecture and Sculpture).

Top of page

Sculpture pages // Other artists

Home