Section of frieze by G. A. Lawson
The sculptor G. A. Lawson was one of the less well-known members of the New Sculpture movement. He was born in Edinburgh and trained in Glasgow, but settled in London in 1866. His main portrait statues include the Burns Memorial in Ayr, 1892 (versions also in Dublin, Melbourne and elsewhere), James Arthur in Glasgow, Joseph Pease for Darlington, John Vaughan for Middlesborough, Wellington atop a high pillar in Liverpool (picture here) and the hapless owl-faced statue of John Biggs in Leicester. In New Zealand is his W. S. Moorhouse in Christchurch Botanical Gardens. His best works are his classical friezes, including the reliefs for Glasgow City Chambers, George Square, and the set of panels for the Municipal Buildings, Bath. We may also mention a war memorial with Mother and Child statue in Derby.
Top of page
Sculpture pages // Other artists