John Graham Lough (1789-1876)

Ideal figure by J. G. Lough

The sculptor John Graham Lough is chiefly known for his funerary monuments, but also produced a variety of portrait sculpture, and ideal male and female figures in classical style.

He was born near Hexham, Northumberland, and according to Redgrave, may have worked as a farmer in his youth. However, after an apprenticeship with a stone mason, and a period at Newcastle, he came to London to study the Elgin Marbles at the British Museum. He began exhibiting ideal figures and heads at the Royal Academy from 1826. Later, from 1834-38, he spent a period in Rome.

Among Lough's public works are a statue of Lord Collingwood in Tynemouth, and a Stephenson Memorial in Newcastle. In London, he produced the monuments to Henry Montgomery Lawrence and to Bishop Middleton in St Paul's Cathedral, and made the Queen Victoria and Prince Albert for the Royal Exchange. In Canterbury Cathedral, he was responsible for the monuments to Bishop Broughton, and to Lt Col Frederick Mackeson.

He died in his late 80s, and is buried in Kensal Green cemetery, London.

Top of page

Sculpture pages // Other artists

Home