Baron Carlo Marochetti RA (1805-1868)

Lion and company, by Marochetti.

The sculptor Carlo Marochetti was born in Turin, Italy, but lived for a time in Paris, where he made one panel for the Arc de Triomphe. At the onset of the Revolution of 1848, he settled in London. One of his earlest and most impressive works in this country is his Richard the Lionheart. This was shown at the Great Exhibition (placed outside as it was too large to enter the building) and a bronze version of 1860 is outside the House of Lords (see Parliament Square through to Victoria Tower Gardens). His most important later work is the Albert and Victoria Tomb, Frogmore, with effigies of Albert (1868), Victoria (only placed in 1901) and four angels. Marochetti's other works in London include Brunel, Stephenson (outside Euston Station), Lord Clyde (Sir Colin Campbell) at Waterloo Place, the monument to Bazalgatte, who built the Victoria Embankment, several monuments in St Paul's Cathedral (most notably the Viscounts Melbourne), and various busts in the National Portrait Gallery.

Marochetti also produced a variety of public sculpture elsewhere in England. These include two Wellingtons, in Stratfieldsaye, Hants, and in Leeds on Woodhouse Moor, which town also has his excellent Black Prince (in City Square). A Lord Herbert of Lea is in Salisbury, Lord Clive in Shrewsbury, Joseph Locke is in Barnsley, and in Cambridge, a certain Jonas Webb.

Top of page

Sculpture pages // Other artists

Home