Photographs of St Mary Church and district
Click on any image to view larger version
Babbacombe beach from the Cary Arms pre 1884
Another view of Babbacombe beach , taken from the opposite direction, after 1890 (roof of derelict Glen has been retouched)`
Modern view of Oddicombe Beach taken from Babbacombe Downs with background view up the coast towards Teignmouth etc
Barton Village about 1920
Barton Post Office circa 1905, was at 7 Fore Street Barton (house is now 109 Fore Street) Also used as local lock-up. (Picture thanks to Ian Sharam)
The Cary Arms Hotel, overlooking Babbacombe Beach about 1923. The first picture on this page shows the Hotel on the extreme left with a thatched roof.
Ansteys Cove from a print dated 1851
Ansteys Cove from a print dated 1864
Anstey’s Cove about 1884, cliff in background is Walls Hill and Long Quarry point. Note bathing machines on beach. A very secluded spot. Still popular although some of the cliffs are now unstable and some access is blocked.
Saint Marychurch Town Hall, built in 1883, designed by George Bridgman.
Became the property of Torquay Council when St Marychurch became part of the town in 1900. Still standing
Watcombe Beach, a nice secluded cove, but down a very steep hill. Near here is where the famous Watcombe clay was found which lead to the formation of the Torquay Potteries. Also nearby is the Giant rock and goats path, an area well liked by Victorian society as a place for a visit and even organised entertainment- see below
Watcombe- From a print dated 1852
To Return to Front Page