This website conforms to basic web accessibility recommendations and standards and has been tested with various assistive technologies. We continually review our site and modify pages to remove accessibility problems for people with disabilities and to make information more accessible for all users. All of our content is checked for plain English, and we aim to use a written style that is straightforward and understandable.
During the development process, our designer followed the World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 to ensure that the site would be accessible. The site uses valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional and CSS 2.0.
What does that mean in practice?
We follow a list of accessibility guidelines when designing web sites and their content. This includes:
- Follow current web standards and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS1)
- Maintain a standard layout and navigation system throughout
- Use headings, lists and website structure in a consistent manner, including CSS to control the website's style
- Avoid the use of frames
- Use plain backgrounds to improve the readability of text
- Avoid excessive images, image maps and use of animation material
- Use alt attributes on all images, and title or longdesc attributes where appropriate, and ensure that all alt, title and longdesc attributes are meaningful
- Design layouts to work satisfactorily at a range of screen resolutions
- Ensure all hyperlinks use descriptive and meaningful text, avoiding short-hand language like 'Click here
- Always provide an alternative to scripts, applets or plug-ins or other controls which rely on client device capability
- Test on the Windows platform and numerous browsers
- Use various accessibility checklists and guidelines, including those at the W3C Accessibility Initiative.
You can change the size of the text on the Wisemans website in the following way:
- To change the size please use your browser's built-in text size controls:
- For Microsoft Internet Explorer use the 'View' menu, select 'Text size' and then choose a size from the list provided.
- For Mozilla or Firefox use the 'View' menu, and select 'Increase text size' or 'Decrease text size' as required.
- For Netscape 6.x use the 'View' menu, select 'Text size' and then choose a size from the list provided.
We are always working to improve the Wisemans Website. If you encounter a problem accessing our site, or if you would like to provide feedback, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage our users to learn more about accessibility and apply basic accessibility guidelines to their own websites. There are many resources on the Web about accessibility, but we recommend the following sites as starting points:
The W3C Accessibility Initiative
The National Center for Accessible Media (NCAM)
Project EASI (Equal Access to Software and Information)
World Institute on Disability
Bobby (A tool for testing website accessibility)