www.woodborough-heritage.org.uk     l     Woodborough Photographic Recording Group © 2017      |     Terms of use   

Woodborough’s Heritage

Woodborough, an ancient Sherwood Forest Village recorded in Domesday



Morris’s Directory 1869

Woodborough is a parish and village in Basford union, containing, by the census of 1861, 893 inhabitants, and 1940 acres; in the deanery of Southwell, archdeaconry of Nottingham, diocese of Lincoln, south division of Thurgarton hundred, south Nottinghamshire; 3 miles north-west from Lowdham station, 8 miles north-east of Nottingham and 131 from London. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev’d Samuel Lealand Oldacres, BA, is valued at £118 per annum, with 55 acres of glebe, and is in the patronage of the Chapter of Southwell.


Clergy and Gentry

Bauser, Mr Thomas

Brett Mr Edward, Woodland Villa

Broadhurst Alfred Esq. The Hall

Oldacres Rev’d Samuel Lealand BA - Vicar

Smith, Mr George


Trades and Professions

Ashmore William - carrier, Punch Bowl

Baguley Joseph - shoemaker

Barrowcliff Henry - sinker maker

Bauser John - miller & farmer

Bish John - cottager

Bish John Junior - cottager

Bousfield William Edward - miller

Carlile Frederick - tailor and beer retailer

Clark Thomas - farmer

Clay William - cottager

Clayton Henry - shopkeeper

Donnelly Thomas - framesmith

Fisher Richard - shoemaker

Flinders Samuel - farmer

Foster John - shoemaker

Foster Joseph - farmer, Brockwell

Hallam Joseph - blacksmith

Hancock John - cottager

Hardstaff George - cottager, New Inn

Hartshorn Francis - butcher

Hartshorn William - shopkeeper

Hill William - farmer & brick maker

Hind Amos - framework knitter

Hogg William - farmer & rate collector

James Henry - baker, flour dealer & sub postmaster

Leaf John - hosiery agent

Leaf Joseph - beer retailer

Marriott Joseph - shopkeeper

Mellows Samuel - tailor

Morley Richard - cottager

The church is a large edifice, dedicated to St Swithin, with tower and four bells. The Free School was founded and endowed by the Rev’’d. Montague Wood, in 1736, it now possesses an income of £109 per annum, with residence. The Baptists, Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists have each a place of worship here. There are some small bequests for the benefit of the poor, producing about £3 10s per annum.

The parish is in three manors, called the Prebendal, the Copyhold and the Freehold.



Oakley Mrs Emma - farmer

Orme John - blacksmith

Patching Mrs Maria - cottager

Patching William - bricklayer

Pinder Joseph - farmer

Poole John - farmer

Poole Joseph - carrier & cottager

Potts John D - farmer, Stoup Hill

Revill William - cottager, Four Bells

Richardson Aaron - parish clerk

Richardson Mrs Ann - shopkeeper

Richardson John - framework knitter

Robinson Edward - farmer, Park Farm

Robinson William - shopkeeper

Smith Robert - cottager

Smith Samuel - saddler

Southern Joseph - cottager

Southern William - carrier & cottager

Stevenson Samuel - shopkeeper

Tomlinson Samuel - butcher

Turner Mrs Martha - shopkeeper

Wood Charles - butcher

Wood Noah - farmer, land agent & valuer

Wood Thomas - farmer, Grimesmoor

Wood William - joiner

Wharton Richard - coal dealer

Wyld Christopher - sinker maker & cottager


Post Office

Henry James, sub-postmaster.

Letters from Nottingham arrive at 9.30 a.m., despatched at 5.30 p.m.

The nearest Money Order Office is at Arnold.


Free School

Rev’d Samuel Lealand Oldacres, BA, Master.


Carriers: William Ashmore, Joseph Poole and William Southern, to Nottingham Wednesday & Saturday.    

 

Back to top Next page