www.woodborough-heritage.org.uk     l     Woodborough Photographic Recording Group © 2017      |     Terms of use   

Woodborough’s Heritage

Woodborough, an ancient Sherwood Forest Village recorded in Domesday



Wright’s Directory 1879



Woodborough is a parish and large straggling village, in a narrow dell, near the Dover Beck, 8 miles N.E. from Nottingham, 3 N.W. from Lowdham Station, in the southern division of the County, Hundred of Thurgarton, Basford Union, Nottingham County Court District, and rural deanery of Southwell. St Swithen’s Church is a large stone building, in which there are the remains of a good Norman doorway; the chancel is very large, and of the decorated style, about the time of Edward III. The tower is low perpendicular, the nave and aisles debased. In the windows are some fragments of ancient armorial glass. It was re-pewed and partially restored a few years ago. There is a peal of four bells. The register dates from 1547. The vicarage is of the value of £300, with residents and 55 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Manchester. The Free School, founded by the Rev’d Montague Wood in 1706, now possesses an income of £109 a year, with residence for the master, and derived from a farm at Blidworth, and cottage and land at Stapleford. New schools have been just built, with accommodation for 300 scholars.



Barrowcliff Henry - sinker maker.

Donnelly Mark - framesmith.

Fitness George - Master of Free School.

Greenaway Mr Philip - Shelt Hill Cottage.

Hallam Joseph - blacksmith.

Hartshorn Francis - butcher.

Hill William - brick maker.

Hogg William - Rate & Tax Collector

Howitt William - bricklayer.

James Henry - sub-postmaster.

Orme William - blacksmith.

Parkyns Mansfield, Esq. Woodborough Hall.

Patching Miss Sarah, National Schoolmistress.

Slight, Rev’d Frederick Goode, BA, The Vicarage.

Stevenson Jesse - Parish Clerk.

Tomlinson Mrs Martha - butcher.

Weaver Richard - coal dealer.

Wyld Christopher - sinker maker.


Bag Hosiers

Dring George

Dring Henry

Dring James

Hind Amos

Richardson Samuel

Robinson Edward


Boot Makers

Baguley John

Baguley Joseph

Stacey Thomas


Cottagers

Alvey Thomas, and market gardener.

Bish John, junior.

Brett Edward, and valuer.

Hancock John

Needham George, Shelt Hill.

Patching William, and bricklayer.

Smith William

Southern Joseph

Southern William

Stevenson Samuel

Taylor William

Whittaker Robert


The Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. Bricks are made, but the hosiery trade has been depressed of late years, owing to the manufacture having been transferred to large factories. The Feast is on the Sunday after July 2nd. Area 1940 acres, and in 1871 there were 212 houses and 898 inhabitants. Woodborough Dumble is 2½ miles west.

St Swithen’s Church. − Services on Sunday 10.30 and 6.30 and at 3 on the third Sunday in month. Sacrament first Sunday in the month. Rev. F.G. Slight, BA; Church wardens, Messrs. Southern and N. Wood.

Organist, Miss E. Parkyns.

Parish Clerk, J. Stevenson.

Hymns, ancient and modern.

Chapels − Sunday, services 2.30 and 6.

Wesleyan Chapel keeper, John Smith; Primitive, James Leafe; Baptist, William Robinson.

Post Office − H. James, receiver. Letters arrive from Nottingham at 9, and are despatched at 5.20. The nearest money order office is at Epperstone.


Dressmakers

Leaf Mrs

Marriott Miss Sarah

Richardson Mrs Selina

Sardison Mrs Elizabeth

Stevenson Mrs Fanny


Farmers

Alvey Thomas and cottager.

Bish John

Clay William

Cupit Frederick Thomas, and miller.

Chantrey George

Flinders William, Thorpe

Howett William, and Stud owner.

Pinder Mrs Fanny

Poole John, Woodborough Wood.

Poole Joseph

Poole Mrs Mary

Revill John

Sardison William, jobbing.

Southern Joseph, and cottager.

Wood Noah, and William, Manor House.

Wood Thomas, gardeners.


Joiners and Wheelwrights

Ward Richard

Wood William


Publicans

Ashmore William,  victualler, New Inn.

Hogg William junior, victualler, Nag’s Head.

Leaf Joseph, beerhouse, Bugle Horn.

Pollard John, victualler, Punch Bowl.

Revill William, victualler, Four Bells.


Shopkeepers

Clayton Henry

Marriott Joseph

Richardson Mrs Ann

Robinson William

Turner Miss Eliza


Carriers: Ashmore W., to Nottingham Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Dunthorne William, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Back to top Next page