www.woodborough-heritage.org.uk     l     Woodborough Photographic Recording Group © 2017      |     Terms of use   

Woodborough’s Heritage

Woodborough, an ancient Sherwood Forest Village recorded in Domesday



Wright’s Directory 1883



Woodborough is a parish and large straggling village, in a narrow dell, near the Dover Beck, 6½ miles north east from Nottingham, 3 north west from Lowdham station, and 141 from London, in south Notts, hundred of Thurgarton, Basford Union, Nottingham County Court district, and rural deanery of Southwell. St Swithen’s Church is a large stone building, in which there are the remains of a good Norman doorway; the chancel is very large, and of the decorated style, about the time of Edward III; the tower low perpendicular, the nave and aisles debased.  The nave and aisles are separated by an arcade of four bays. In the windows are some fragments of ancient armorial glass. In the chancel there is a very fine sedilia, also and aumbry and piscina. It was re-pewed and partially restored a few years ago. There is a peal of four bells, also a clock. The Register dates from 1547 for baptisms, 1573 for marriages, 1572 for burials. The vicarage  is in the value of £300, with residence and 55 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Manchester. There is a small cemetery, with mortuary chapel and lich gate. William Edge, by will, July 29th 1796, devised his personal estate to his wife, subject to the payment of £40 to the church wardens and overseers of Woodborough, the interest to be paid half-yearly as follows:- moiety to the singers at Woodborough church, and the other moiety among the poor widows of the parish. His widow gave up part of the personal property to Mr William Taylor, who has paid 20s a year to the minister and 20s to the churchwardens, as the interest of the £40. The former some is paid to a master for teaching 10 boys and girls to sing psalms, and the latter is distributed on the day after Christmas amongst indigent widows. The Nether Close, in Calverton, contained 1a 1r 13p, we are informed was awarded on the enclosure of the open fields of that parish to the poor of Woodborough. This field has been let for many years at 30s per annum to a family named Baguley, and the amount has been applied of late years to the general purposes of the poor rate.


Barrowcliff Henry - sinker maker.

Donnelly Mark - framesmith.

Greenaway Mr Philip, Shelt Hill Cottage.

Hallam Joseph - blacksmith.

Hill William - brick maker, and at Saxondale.

Hogg William - tax collector.

Holland William - drainer.

Housley Frederick, Master Endowed School.

Howett Robert - race horse breeder and proprietor, Woodborough Manor and Stud Farm.

Howitt William - bricklayer.

James Mr Henry

Marriott Joseph - framesmith.

Mellors Thomas - baker.

Orme William - blacksmith.

Parkyns Mansfield, Esq. Woodborough Hall

Richardson Joseph - Parish Clerk.

Slight Rev’d Frederick Goode, BA., The Vicarage.

Vickers Miss Emma - mistress Endowed School.

Ward Richard - joiner and wheelwright.

Weaver Joseph - coal dealer.

Wyld Mrs Elizabeth - school.


Bag Hosiers

Dring Henry

Dring James

Hind Amos

Richardson Samuel

Robinson Edward


Bootmakers

Baguley John

Baguley Joseph

Cook John

Dalling William


Butchers

Hartshorn John and farmer

Richardson Mark

Tomlinson Mrs Martha


Cottagers

Alvey Mrs Charlotte & market gardener

Bish John

Brett Edward & valuer

Dring George, Shelt Hill

Hancock John

Hewett William & bricklayer

Patching Henry

Reavill John

Roe John, Foxwood House

Southern Joseph

Southern William

Taylor William

We are informed that Mrs Bainbridge, who had an estate in this parish, received the rent up to her death, 30 years ago, and applied it to the putting out of apprentices. It is considered that the field is worth 50s a year, and that the sum, judging from its former application should be used for apprenticing the children of the parish. The Free School, founded by the Rev’d Montague Wood in 1739, now possesses an income of about £90 a year, with residence for the master, derived from a farm at Blidworth, and land at Stapleford. New schools were built in 1878, at a cost of £1600, with accommodation for 150 scholars. The Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. Bricks are still made, but the hosiery trade has been depressed of late years, owing to the manufacture having been transferred to the large factories.  The feast is on the Sunday after July 2. The chief landowners are Mr M. Parkyns, Mr J.B. Taylor, Lieut.Col. Seely and Mr R. Howett, the proprietor of a noted horse breeding establishment. Area 1869 acres; rateable value, £4270 19s; and in 1871 there were 898 inhabitants; in 1891, 889. Woodborough Dumble is 2½ west.


St. Swithen’s Church. Services on Sunday at 10.30 and 6.30 and at 3 on the third Sunday in the month.  Communion first Sunday in the month, Rev’d F.G.Slight, BA. Churchwardens, Messrs E. Brett and R. Ward; organist, Miss E. Parkyns; Parish Clerk, J. Richardson. Hymns ancient and modern.

Chapels. – Sunday, services 2.30 and 6, Wesleyan, Chapel Steward, James Statham; Primitive, Joseph Marriott; Baptist,


William Robinson. Post Office - John Foster, receiver. Letters arrive from Nottingham at 7.35; box cleared at 6.10 on week-days only.


The nearest money order office is at Epperstone; telegraph office at Lowdham Station.


Dressmakers

Dixon Mrs Sarah

Marriott Miss Eliza

Richardson Mrs Selina

Stevenson Mrs Ann


Farmers

Chantrey George & landowner

Flinders William Thorpe

Hartshorn John & butcher & gardener

Hartshorn Thomas & miller

Howett Robert & race horse breeder and proprietor, Woodborough Manor, & stud farm.

Poole John, farm bailiff, Woodborough Woods.

Poole Joseph

Reavill William & victualler, Four Bells.

Stevenson William, Stoup Hill

Thorpe Robey h Nottingham

Wood Thomas


Gardeners

Alvey Mrs Charlotte, cottager

Bish John

Clay William

Dring George & huckster

Dring Henry

Dring James

Hartshorn Francis

Hartshorn John

Plumb Joseph

Sardison William (jobbing)

Southern Joseph & cottager


Publicans

Ashmore William, victualler New Inn.

Hogg William, Junior, victualler Nag’s Head.

Leafe Joseph, beerhouse, Bugle Horn.

Pollard John, assistance overseer & victualler, Punch Bowl.

Reavill William, farmer & victualler Four Bells.


Shopkeepers

Co-op Stores, George Hardstaff, manager

Marriott Joseph

North William

Richardson Mrs Ann

Richardson John

Richardson William

Smith Mrs Ann

Turner Miss Eliza


Carriers: Ashmore William, to Nottingham Wednesday & Saturdays.

Dunthorne James, to Nottingham Wednesday & Saturdays

Next page Back to top