www.woodborough-heritage.org.uk     l     Woodborough Photographic Recording Group © 2017      |     Terms of use   

Woodborough’s Heritage

Woodborough, an ancient Sherwood Forest Village recorded in Domesday



Wright’s Directory 1891



Woodborough is a parish and large straggling village in a narrow dell near the Dover Beck 6½  miles north-east from Nottingham, 3½ north-west of Lowdham Station and 141 miles from London, in the Newark parliamentary division, that of Calverton for the County Council, hundred of Thurgarton, Basford Union, Nottingham County Court, Rural Deanery of Gedling and diocese of Southwell. St Swithun’s church is a large stone building in which are remains of a good Norman doorway. Chancel is large and considered to be a perfect specimen of 14th century work (Decorated), about the time of Edward III. There is a low embattled tower of the Perpendicular period, nave and aisles are debased. Registers date:- Baptisms from 1547, Marriages from 1573, Burials from 1572. Vicarage is of value £300, partially derived from 55a. of glebe with residents in the gift of the Bishop of Manchester. A Burial Board was formed in 1879. There was a small cemetery with mortuary chapel (sic) and lych gate. William Edge, by will of July 29th 1796, devised his personal estate to his wife, subject to payment of £40 to the churchwardens and overseers of Woodborough, interest to be paid ½ yearly as follows:- moiety to singers of Woodborough church, other moiety to the poor widows of the parish. His widow gave up part of the personal property to Mr William Taylor who has paid 20s. per year to the Minister and 20s. per year to the churchwardens as the interest of the £40. Former is paid to a master for teaching ten boys and girls to sing psalms and the latter is distributed on the day after Christmas to


Donnelly Mark - Framesmith

Hill William - Brick maker and at Saxondale

Hogg William Senior - Parish Clerk

Holland William - Drainer

Holmes Miss Charlotte - Mistress of Endowed School

Houseley Frederick - Master, Endowed School and Clerk to Burial Board, Assessor and Collector of Taxes

Marriott Joseph - Framesmith

Mellors Thomas - Baker

North J. - Coal dealer

Orme William - Blacksmith and wheelwright

Parkyns Mansfield Esq.- Woodborough Hall

Pollard John - Tailor and rate collector

Richardson Joseph - Parish Clerk

Slight Rev’d Frederick Goode, B.A. - The Vicarage

Taylor William - Fruit grower and threshing machine owner

Vasey Henry - Race horse trainer

Wain George - Tailor

Ward Richard - Joiner and wheelwright

White John - Market Gardener and pork butcher

Wyld William Junior - Chair seater and brush maker


Bag Hosiers

Bish Herbert   

Dring James

Dring Henry & gardener

Richardson Arthur

Robinson Edward   

Wyld William


Boot makers

Baguley John

Baguley Joseph

Cook John

Dalling William


Butchers

Parker Thomas

Richardson Mark

Tomlinson Mrs Martha


Coal dealers

Dring George & cottager, Shelt Hill

North William & shopkeeper

Roe John & cottager, Foxwood House


Cottagers

Alvey Mrs Charlotte & market gardener

Bish John & gardener

Brett Edward & valuer

Dring George & coal dealer, Shelt Hill

Foottit George

Foster Gimson

Hancock John

Howitt William & bricklayer

Roe John & coal dealer, Foxwood House

Southern William & gardener

Taylor William  

indigent widows. The Nether Close in Calverton contain 1a. 1r. 13p. was awarded on enclosure of the open fields of the parish to the poor of Woodborough but it has been lost. The Free School founded by the Rev’d Montague Wood in 1736 now possesses an income of £90 per year, derived from a farm at Blidworth and land at Stapleford. New, handsome and commodious schools with residence for the master were built in 1887 at a cost of £630. Baptists and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. Bricks are still made but the hosiery trade has become depressed of late years owing to manufacture having been transferred to the great factories.

There is a sick club numbering 200 members. Feast is on the Sunday after July 2nd.

Chief landowners are Mr M. Parkyns, Mr R.L. Thorpe, Colonel Seeley and Mr Charles Shaw. Area 1869a. 0r. 80p. Rateable value £4,209. Population in 1881, 889. Woodborough Dumble is 2½ miles west.

Chapels Sunday 2.30 p.m. and 6. Wesleyan – steward Joseph Statham, Primitive Methodists – Joseph Marriott

Baptists – James Small

Burial board:- Rev’d F.G. Slight (Chairman) and Messrs E. Robinson, G. Dring,

M. Richardson and W. Hogg Junior (Treasurer). Clerk Mr F. Houseley.

Post Office: John Foster, Sub-Postmaster. Letters from Nottingham delivered at 7.30 a.m., box cleared at 6.10 p.m., weekdays only. Money Order Office at Epperstone (1 mile). Telegraph Office at Lowdham (3 miles).


Dressmakers

Barker Mrs Em.       

Dixon Mrs Sarah

Richardson Mrs Selina


Farmers

Bentley Robert

Brown Henry - Bailiff to Mr Collyer

Collier George - Derby Hills near Melbourne

Flinders William Thorpe

Kelk John           

Lamin William - Bailiff to Mr Parkyns

Middup William - Grimesmoor Farm

Norton John - Bailiff to Mr Thorpe

Poole Joseph

Rawson John - Bailiff to Mr Shaw

Reavill Mrs Emma & victualler, Four Bells

Shaw Charles - In Nottingham Park

Stevenson James - Stoup Hill

Thorpe Roby Liddington - (h. Nottingham)

Turtle John - Grimesmoor Farm

Woodward Charles       


Gardeners

Alvey Mrs Charlotte & cottager

Bish John & nurseryman

Dring George & huckster

Dring Henry           

Dring James           

Foottit George & cottager

Foster John & shopkeeper

Hallam Henry

Hartshorn Francis       

Hartshorn John

Plumb Joseph

Smith William

Southern William & cottager


Publicans

Ashmore William - Victualler, New Inn

Hogg William Junior - Victualler, Nag’s Head

Leafe Joseph - Beerhouse, Bugle Horn

Reavill Mrs Emma - Farmer & Victualler, Four Bells

Whitworth William Surplice - Victualler, Punch Bowl  


Shopkeepers

Clayton John - Manager Co-op Stores

Foster, John & Sub Post-master

Marriott Joseph   

North William

Richardson Mrs Ann

Richardson John

Richardson William

Robinson William


Carriers

Ashmore, William - To Nottingham Wednesday & Saturday

Dunthorne, James - To Nottingham Wednesday & Saturday

Next page Back to top