www.woodborough-heritage.org.uk     l     Woodborough Photographic Recording Group © 2017      |     Terms of use   

Woodborough’s Heritage

Woodborough, an ancient Sherwood Forest Village recorded in Domesday



Wright’s Directory 1893

Woodborough is a parish and large straggling village, in a narrow dell near the Dover Beck, 6½ miles north-east from Nottingham, 3½ miles north-west from Lowdham station, and 141 from London, in the Newark parliamentary division, that of Calverton for the County Council hundred of Thurgarton, Basford union, Nottingham County Court district, rural deanery of Gedling, and diocese of Southwell. St Swithun's church is a large stone building, in which there are the remains of a good Norman doorway. The chancel is large, and considered a perfect specimen of 14th century work (Decorated) about the time of Edward III. There is a  low embattled tower of the Perpendicular period; the nave and aisles are debased. During the past year (1892) extensive restorations have been carried out, at an estimated cost of £2000, raised by subscription. Col. Seely has given a new chancel, the cost of which was over £500 . The Registers date - baptisms from 1547, marriages from 1573, burials from 1572. The vicarage is of the value of £200 gross, particularly derived from 55 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Manchester. A Burial Board was formed in 1879. There is a small cemetery, with mortuary chapel and lich gate. William Edge, by will, July 29th 1795, devised his personal estate to his wife, subject to the payment of £40 to the churchwardens and overseers of Woodborough, the interest to be paid half-yearly as follows: moiety to the singers of Woodborough Church and the other moiety to the poor widows of the parish. His widow gave up part of the personnel property to Mr William Taylor, who has paid 20s. a year to the minister, and 20s. to the churchwardens, as the interest of the £40. The former is paid to a master for teaching ten boys and girls to sing psalms, and the latter is distributed on the day after Christmas to indigent widows. The Nether Close in Calverton containing 1a. 1r. 13p., was awarded on the enclosure



Buckland, Rev’d W.E., M.A. - Vicarage

Burnett, Mr Arthur - The Hertford Manor House

Donnelly, Mark - framesmith

Hill, William - brick maker and at Saxondale

Hogg, William - senior parish clerk

Holland, William - drainer

Houseley, Frederick - Master, Endowed School Clerk to Burial Board, assessor and collector of taxes

Holmes, Miss Charlotte - Mistress of Endowed School

Marriott, Joseph - framesmith

Mellors, Thomas - baker

North, J. - coal dealer

Orme, William - blacksmith & wheelwright

Parkyns, Mansfield, Esq., - Woodborough Hall

Pollard, John -  tailor and rate collector

Raynor, Walter - painter

Richardson, Joseph - Parish Clerk

Taylor, William - fruit grower & threshing machine owner

Vasey, Henry - racehorse trainer

Wain, George - tailor

Ward, Richard - joiner & wheelwright

White, James - market gardener & pork butcher

Wyld, William Junior - chair seater & brush maker


Bag Hosiers

Bish, Herbert

Dring, Henry & gardener

Dring, James

Richardson, Arthur

Robinson, Edward

Wyld, William


Boot Makers

Bagguley, John

Bagguley, Joseph

Dalling, William


Butchers

Parker, Thomas

Richardson, Mark

Tomlinson, Mrs Martha


Coal Dealers

Dring, George & cottager, Shelt Hill

North, William & shopkeeper

Roe, John & cottager, Fox Wood House


Cottagers

Alvey, Mrs Charlotte & market gardener

Bish, Herbert

Bish, John & gardener

Brett, Edward & valuer

Dring, George & coal dealer, Shelt Hill

Foottit, George

Hancock, John

Howitt, William & bricklayer

Roe, John & coal dealer, Fox Wood House

Southern, William & gardener

Taylor, William

of  the open fields of that parish to the poor of Woodborough, but it has been lost. The Free School, founded by the Rev’d Montague Wood in 1736, now possesses an income of £90 a year, derived from a farm at Blidworth and land at Stapleford. New, handsome and commodious schools, with residence for the master were built in 1887, at a cost of £1600, the accommodation being for 150 scholars. A new Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1887, at a cost of £630. The Baptist and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. Bricks are still being made, but the hosiery trade has been depressed of late years, owing largely to the manufacture having been transferred to the great factories. There is a sick club numbering 200 members. The feast is on the Sunday after July 2nd. The chief landowners are, Mr M. Parkyns, Mr R.L. Thorpe, Col. Seely, Mr W. Bradshaw, and Mr Charles Shaw. Area, is 1869 a. 0r. 30p.; rateable value £4073 12s.; population in 1891, 787. Woodborough Dumble is 2½ miles west.


St Swithin's - services Sunday 11, 3, and 6. Communion at 11 and 8.30 a.m. on alternate Sundays. Rev’d W.E. Buckland M.A., Wardens - Messrs E. Brett and R. Ward; Hon. organist Miss Augusta Parkyns; Clerk, J. Richardson. Hymns ancient & modern.

Chapels - Sunday 2.30 and 6. Wesleyan: Steward, James Statham; Primitive: Joseph Marriott; Baptist, James Small.

Burial Board - Rev’d. W.E. Buckland, M.A., (Chairman) and Messrs E. Robinson, G. Dring, M. Richardson and W. Hogg, junior (treasurer); Clerk, Mr F. Houseley.


Post Office - John Foster, Sub-Postmaster Letters from Nottingham delivered at 7.15: box cleared at 6.15 week-days only. Money Order office at Epperstone (1 mile); Telegraph Office at Lowdham station (3 miles).


Dressmakers

Barker, Mrs Em.

Dixon, Mrs Sarah

Pollard, Miss Elizabeth

Richardson, Mrs Selina


Farmers

Bentley, Robert

Brown, Henry - Bailiff to Mr Collyer

Flinders, Emmanuel

Henry, Frederick Junior

Manor House

Kelk, John

Lamin, William - Bailiff to Mr Parkyns

Middup, William - Grimesmoor Farm

Norton, John - Bailiff to Mr Thorpe

Poole, Joseph

Rawson, John - Bailiff to Mr Shaw

Stevenson, James - Stoup Hill, Woodborough

Stock, William

Taylor, William - victualler, Four Bells

Turtle, John - Grimesmoor Farm

Woodward, Charles - Arnold Lodge


Gardeners

Alvey, Mrs Charlotte & cottager

Bish, John & nurseryman

Dring, George & huckster

Dring, Henry

Dring, James

Foottit, George & cottager

Foster, John & shopkeeper

Hallam, Henry

Hartshorn, Francis

Hartshorn, John

Plumb, Joseph

Smith, William

Southern, William & cottager

Taylor, William & farmer & threshing machine owner


Publicans

Burton, John E. - victualler, New Inn

Hogg, William Junior - victualler, Nag's Head

Leafe, Joseph - beerhouse, Bugle Horn

Reddish, William - victualler, Punch Bowl

Taylor, William - farmer & victualler, Four Bells


Shopkeepers

Co-op Stores - Joseph Bagguley, Manager

Foster, John & Sub-postmaster

Marriott, Joseph

North, William

Richardson, Mrs Ann

Richardson, John

Richardson, William

Robinson, William


Carriers

Ashmore, George - to Nottingham Wednesdays & Saturdays

Dunthorne, James - to Nottingham Wednesdays & Saturdays

Next page Back to top