www.woodborough-heritage.org.uk     l     Woodborough Photographic Recording Group © 2017      |     Terms of use   

Woodborough’s Heritage

Woodborough, an ancient Sherwood Forest Village recorded in Domesday



Kelly’s Directory 1895




Woodborough is a parish and large straggling village, 3 miles north-west from Lowdham station on the Nottingham and Lincoln line of the Midland Railway and 8 north-north-east from Nottingham, in the Rushcliffe division of the county, Wapentake of Thurgarton. Basford union, Nottingham petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Gedling, archdeaconry of Nottingham and diocese of Southwell. The church of St Swithin is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a low embattled western tower with four pinnacles and containing 4 bells dating from 1612 to 1680, and clock: there are remains of a good Norman doorway: the chancel is Decorated and the tower of Perpendicular date, the nave and aisles being in a later and debased style; the chancel retains very fine sedilia, an aumbry on the north side, and on either side of the communion table are stone brackets with figures of Edward III and his queen: some remains of the oaken rood screen still exist and a few specimens of ancient stained glass: the font is Norman: the church plate includes a chalice and alms-dish, dated 1676, and a flagon of 1802: the church was restored during the period 1886-91, at a cost of about £1190 and affords £250 sittings: the churchyard is now closed. The registers date – 1547 for baptisms, 1573 for marriages and 1572 for burials, and are in good condition. The living is a vicarage, net yearly £260 with 55 acres of glebe and residence in the gift of the Bishop of Manchester, and held since 1891 by the Rev’d Walter Edward Buckland, MA, of Keble College, Oxford. The Baptists, Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans have each a chapel. A cemetery of one acre was formed in


Commercial

A       , Arthur, grocer

Baguley, Joseph, shoemaker

Bentley, Robert, farmer

Bish, Herbert, bag hosier

Bish, John, market gardener

Blagg, John, farmer and cattle dealer; and at Epperstone

Brett, Edward, valuer,

Burnett, Arthur, farmer & shire horse keeper

Bretton, John, New Inn

Co-operative Stores Limited (Joseph Baguley, salesman)

Donnelly, Mark, framesmith

Dring, George, farmer

Dring, Henry, bag hosier

Dring, James, bag hosier

Dunthorne, James, farmer and carrier

Flinders, Betsy (Mrs), farmer

Footitt, George, market gardener

Foster, John, shopkeeper, Post Office

Hancock, John, grazier

Harrison, Charlotte (Mrs), Punch Bowl PH

Hartshorne, Francis, market gardener

Hogg, William Jn., Nags Head PH

Kelk, John, farmer

Kelk, John R, farmer

Leafe, Joseph, beer retailer

Marriott, Joseph, shopkeeper

Mellows, Thomas, baker

Middup, William, farmer


1879 at a cost of £300; it has a lych gate but no chapel. The poor have £3.10s yearly. The people are employed in framework knitting. This was a Roman settlement. Woodborough Hall the seat of the late Mansfield Parkyns Esq, MA, is a very ancient mansion, on a pleasant lawn at the extreme end of the village. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are Roby, Liddington Thorpe, Esq. of Nottingham, Charles Seely Esq. of Sherwood Lodge, Arnold, Charles Shaw Esq., Tom Potter Esq. of Daybrook, Francis Ley, Esq. JP, of Epperstone, W.L. Huskisson Esq. of Epperstone, and William Bradshaw Esq. of Nottingham. The soil is clay and sand; subsoil, clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans and peas. The area is 1940 acres; rateable value, is £3841; the population in 1891 was 760. Woodborough Dumble is 2½ miles west.

Parish Clerk, Joseph Richardson.

Post Office – John Foster, Sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Nottingham at 7.35 a.m.; despatched as 6.10 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order office is at Calverton and telegraph office at Lowdham.

Endowed school, built in 1878, at a cost of £1600 for 200 children; average attendance 130; the school has an income of £74 yearly left by the Rev’d M. Wood in 1706, with house for the master; George Biggs, master; Miss C. Holmes, mistress.

Carrier to Nottingham –James Dunthorne, Wed & Sat.

Rev’d Walter Edward Buckland M.A., Vicarage

Parkyns, The Misses, Woodborough Hall.


North, John, coal dealer

North, William, shopkeeper

Orange, David, shopkeeper

Orme, William, blacksmith

Patching, William, bricklayer

Pollard, John, tailor

Poole, Joseph, farmer

Richardson, Ann (Mrs), shopkeeper

Richardson, Arthur, bag hosier

Richardson, John, shopkeeper

Richardson, Mark, butcher

Robinson, Edward, bag hosier

Robinson, William, shopkeeper

Roe, John, market gardener

Southern, William, market gardener

Stevenson, James, farmer

Taylor, William, Four Bells PH

Taylor & Dixon, machine owners

Tomlinson, Martha (Mrs), butcher

Turner, Charles, coal dealer

Turtle, John, farmer

Ward, Herbert, farmer

Ward, Richard, wheelwright

Woodborough Co-operative Land & Building Society Limited (John Richardson, assist sec)

Wright, James, shoemaker

Next page Back to top