www.woodborough-heritage.org.uk     l     Woodborough Photographic Recording Group © 2017      |     Terms of use   

Woodborough’s Heritage

Woodborough, an ancient Sherwood Forest Village recorded in Domesday



Kelly’s Directory 1899



Woodborough is a parish and large straggling village, 3½ miles north-west from Lowdham station on the Nottingham & Lincoln line of the Midland Railway and 7½ north-north-east from Nottingham, in the Rushcliffe Division of the County, Wapentake of Thurgarton, Basford Union, Nottingham petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Gedling, archdeaconry of Nottingham and diocese of Southwell. The church of St Swithin is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and a low embattled western tower with four pinnacles and containing 4 bells, dating from 1612 to 1680, and clock: there are remains of a good Norman doorway: the chancel is Decorated and the tower of Perpendicular date, the nave and aisles being in a later and debased style: the chancel retains very fine sedilia, an aumbry on the north side, and on either side of the communion table are stone brackets (with figures of Edward III and his Queen): some remains of the oaken rood screen still exist and a few specimens of ancient stained glass: the east window is also stained: the font is Norman: the church plate includes a chalice and alms dish, dated 1676, and a flagon of 1802: the church was restored during the period 1891-07 at a cost of £2600, and affords 200 sittings: the churchyard is now closed. The registers date – 1547 for baptisms, 1573 for marriages and 1572 for burials, and are in good condition. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £260 with 55 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Manchester, and held since 1896 by the Rev’d Samuel Bond, MA, of Magdalene College, Cambridge.

The Baptists, Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans have each  



Bond Rev’d Samuel, MA, Vicarage

Cauldwell, Mrs, Thorneywood

Hill, Charles Hose, JP, Woodborough Hall

Henry Mrs,


Commercial

Bentley, Robert, farmer

Bish, Herbert, bag hosier

Bish, John, market gardener

Blagg, John Alfred, farmer & coal dealer, & at Epperstone

Brett, Edward, land valuer

Bennett, Arthur, farmer & shire horse keeper

Cemetery (Joseph Clayton, clerk)

Charles Jesse, Punch Bowl PH

Co-operative Store Limited, John Bradley, Manager

Donnelly, Mark, framesmith

Dring, George, farmer

Dring, Henry, bag hosier

Dring, James, bag hosier

Dunthorne, James, farmer and carrier

Flinders, Betsy (Mrs), farmer

Footitt, George, market gardener

Foster, John, shopkeeper, Post Office

Griffiths, John, Four Bells PH

Hancock, John, grazier,

Hartshorne, Sarah (Miss), market gardener

Hickling, Henry, New Inn & market gardener

Kelk, John, farmer

Kelk, John Robinson, cow keeper

a chapel. A cemetery of one acre (since enlarged) was formed in 1879 At a cost of £300: it has a lych gate but no chapel. The poor have £3 10s yearly. The people are employed in framework knitting. Woodborough has a Roman settlement. Woodborough Hall, the seat of Charles Hose Hill Esq, JP, is a very ancient mansion standing on a pleasant lawn at the end extreme end of the village. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are Robey Liddington Thorpe of Nottingham, Sir Charles Seely, Bart. of Sherwood Lodge, Arnold, Charles Shaw, Esq. Tom Potter Esq. of Daybrook, Francis Ley Esq. of Epperstone Manor, W.L. Huskinson Esq. of Epperstone, and William Bradshaw Esq. of Nottingham. The soil is clay and the sub-soil clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans and peas. The area is 1944 acres; rateable value £3891; the population in 1891 was 760. Woodborough Dumble is 3½ miles west.

Parish Clerk, Edward Richardson.

Post Office – John Foster, Sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Nottingham at 7.35 a.m. Despatched at 6.10 p.m. Postal Orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order and telegraph office is at Calverton 2 miles distant. Endowed school, built in 1878 at a cost of £1600 for 200 children: average attendance 130: the school has an income of £74 yearly left by the Rev’d M. Wood in 1706 and a house for the master; George Biggs, Master: Miss C. Holmes, mistress.

Carriers to Nottingham – James Dunthorne and John North, Wed & Sat.



Leafe, Joseph Richard, beer retailer

Marriott, Joseph, shopkeeper

Mellows, Thomas Robert, baker

Middup, William, farmer

North, John, coal dealer and carrier

North, William, shopkeeper

Orme, William, blacksmith and wheelwright

Parker, John, butcher

Patching, William, bricklayer

Plumb, Joseph, market gardener

Pollard, John, tailor

Poole, Joseph, farmer

Richardson, Ann (Mrs), shopkeeper

Richardson, Arthur, bag hosier

Richardson, Bish, grocer & market gardener

Richardson, John, market gardener

Richardson, Mark, butcher

Robinson, Edward, bag hosier

Roe, John, market gardener

Sears, John, Nags Head PH

Southern, William, market gardener

Stevenson, James, farmer

Tomlinson, Martha (Mrs), butcher

Turtle, John, farmer

Ward, Herbert, farmer

Ward, Richard, wheelwright

Wetton, James, grocer

Wright, James, shoe repairer

Next page Back to top