www.woodborough-heritage.org.uk     l     Woodborough Photographic Recording Group © 2017      |     Terms of use   

Woodborough’s Heritage

Woodborough, an ancient Sherwood Forest Village recorded in Domesday



Wright’s Directory 1899



Woodborough is a parish and large straggling village in a dell near the Dover Beck, 6½ miles north east from Nottingham, 3½ north west from Lowdham station, and 141 from London, in the Newark Parliamentary division, that of Calverton for the County Council, Hundred of Thurgarton, Basford Union, Nottingham County Court district, rural deanery of Gedling, and diocese of Southwell. St Swithun’s Church is a large stone building, in which there are the remains of the good Norman doorway. The chancel is large and considered a perfect specimen of fourteenth century work (Decorated) about the time of Edward III. There is a low embattled tower of the Perpendicular period; the nave and aisles are debased. Since 1892 extensive restorations have been carried out at a cost of £2600, raised by subscription. Colonel Seely gave £500 for the restoration of the chancel. The Registers date − baptisms from 1547, marriages from 1573, burials from 1572. The vicarage of the of £270 gross, partially derived from 55 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Manchester. There is small cemetery with lich gate. William Edge, by will, July 29th 1796, devised his personal estate to his wife,



Biggs George, the Endowed school

Biggs Miss Gertrude - assist school mistress

Bond Rev’d Samuel, MA, The Vicarage

Burnett Mr Arthur,  Hertford Manor House

Clayton Joseph, Evangelist and Clerk to the Parish Council

Donnelly Mark - framesmith

Hill Charles Hose, Esq, JP, Woodborough Hall

Hogg William - joiner and wheelwright

Holland William - drainer

Holmes Miss Charlotte - mistress of Endowed School

Mellors Thomas - baker

North John - coal dealer

Orme William - blacksmith and wheelwright

Parkyns Miss Sybil, Thorneywood

Pollard John - ladies’ tailor and rate collector

Raynor Walter - painter

Richardson John Edward - gardener to Miss Parkyns

Richardson Mark - Parish Clerk and butcher

Ruffles George Alfred - gardener to C.H. Hill Esq, JP.

Ward Richard - joiner, smith and wheelwright

White Elijah - provision merchant

Wright James Peto - bootmaker

Wyld Arthur, junior - chair seat and brush maker


Bag Hosiers

Bish Herbert

Dring James

Richardson Arthur, & market gardener

Robinson Edward

Wyld William


Butchers

Richardson Mark

Tomlinson Mrs Martha

Roe John, & cottager, Foxwood House

White John, market gardener & pork butcher


Cottagers

Alvey Mrs Charlotte, and market gardener

Bish Herbert

Bish John, and gardener

Brett Edward, and valuer

Foottit George

Hancock John

Howitt William, and bricklayer

Kelk John Robinson, and cow keeper

Roe John, and coal dealer, Foxwood House

Southern William, and gardener


Dressmakers

Akers Miss Hannah

Dring Miss Elizabeth

Foottit Miss Louisa

Orange Mrs Hannah

Orme Miss Lucy

Richardson Mrs Eliza

Richardson Mrs Selina


subject to the payment of £40 to the churchwardens and overseers of Woodborough, the interest to be paid yearly as follows:- Moiety to the singers of Woodborough church, and other moiety to the poor widows of the Parish. The Free School, founded by the Rev’d Montague Wood in 1739, now possesses an income of £94 per year, derived from a farm at Blidworth and land at Stapleford. New, handsome, and commodious schools, with residence for the master, were built in 1878, at a cost of £1600, the accommodation being for 150 scholars. A new Wesleyan chapel was built in 1887, at a cost of £630. The Baptists and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. The hosiery trade has been depressed of late years, owing largely to the manufacture having been transferred to the great factories. There is a sick club numbering 200 members. The feast is on the Sunday after July 2nd.

The chief landowners are Mr R.L. Thorpe, Colonel Sir C. Seely, Mr W. Bradshaw, Mr H. Hill, and Mr T. Potter. Area 1868 acres 2 roods 12 perches; rateable value, £3935 16s. (land £2404 4s., buildings £1531 12s.); population in 1891, 768. Woodborough Dumble is 2½ miles west.



Farmers

Bentley Robert

Brown William, bailiff to Mr Collier

Caudwell John Bagshaw

Digby Colliery Co

Dring George, and coal dealer

Flinders Mrs Betsy

Henry Frederick, Manor House, and at Nottingham

Kelk John

Knowles Benjamin, h Calverton

Lee James, h Calverton

Lovett Thomas, Woodborough Mill

Middup William, Grimesmoor Farm

Poole Joseph

Skinner Samuel, foreman to T Potter Esq, JP.

Stevenson James, Stoup Hill, Woodborough

Taylor William, victualler, Four Bells

Turtle John, Grimesmoor Farm

Voce Fred, bailiff to Mr J.A. Blagg

Woodward Charles, Arnold Lodge


Gardeners

Alvey Mrs Charlotte, and cottager

Bish John

Dring George, and huckster

Dring Henry

Dring James

Foottit George, and cottager

Foster John, and shopkeeper

Hallam Henry

Hartshorn Francis

Plumb Joseph

Richardson Arthur

Richardson John

Smith William

Southern William, and cottager

Taylor William, & farmer & threshing machine owner


Publicans

Hickling Thomas, victualler, New Inn

Leafe Joseph, junior, beerhouse, Bugle Horn

Suffolk William, victualler, Punch Bowl

Taylor William, farmer, threshing machine owner and victualler, Four Bells

Whitehead Arthur William, victualler, Nag’s Head


Shopkeepers

Co-op Stores, John Bradley, manager

Foster John, and sub-postmaster

Marriott Joseph

North William

Richardson Mrs Ann

Richardson William

Robinson William

Wetton James


Carriers

Dunthorne James, to Nottingham, Wednesday and Saturdays,.North John, to Nottingham, Wednesday and Saturdays

Next page Back to top