www.woodborough-heritage.org.uk     l     Woodborough Photographic Recording Group © 2017      |     Terms of use   

Woodborough’s Heritage

Woodborough, an ancient Sherwood Forest Village recorded in Domesday



Kelly’s Directory 1904

Woodborough is a parish and large straggling village 3.5 miles north-west from Lowdham station on the Nottingham and Lincoln line of the Midland Railway and 7.5 north-north-east from Nottingham, in the Rushcliffe division of the county, wapentake of Thurgarton, Basford union, Nottingham petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Gedling, archdeaconry of Nottingham and diocese of Southwell. The church of St Swithun is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a low embattled western tower with four pinnacles and containing 4 bells, dating from 1612 to 1680, and clock: there are remains of a good Norman doorway: the chancel is Decorated and the tower of Perpendicular date, the nave and aisles being in a later and debased style: the chancel retains very sedilia, and aumbry on the north side, and on either side of the communion table are stone brackets (with figures of Edward III and his queen): some remains of the oaken rood screen still exist and a few specimens of ancient stained glass: the east window is also stained: the font is Norman: the church plate includes a chalice and alms-dish, dated 1676, and a flagon of 1802: the church was restored during the period 1891-97, at a cost of £2600, and affords 200 sittings: the churchyard is now closed. The registers date - 1547 for baptisms, 1573 for marriages and 1572 for burials, and are in good condition. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £250, with 55 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Manchester and held since 1896 by the Rev’d Samuel Bond M.A. of Magdalene College, Cambridge.

Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans have each a chapel with



Baptist chapel, built in 1832, has 200

Baguley Charles John - Manor House.

Bond Rev’d Bond, M.A. - Vicarage

Brett Edward

Hill Charles Hose J.P. - Woodborough Hall

Shipside Thomas - The Yews

Skipworth Edwin


Commercial

Alvey Joseph - boot repairer

Bish Herbert - bag hosier

Bish John - market gardener

Blagg John Aldred - farmer & cattle dealer & at Epperstone

Burnett Arthur (Mrs) - stud farm

Burton John E. - market gardener

Cemetery (Joseph Clayton - clerk)

Collyer George Windle - farmer, Bank Farm

Co-operative Store Limited (Miss Selina Bradley - manageress)

Donnelly Mark - framesmith

Dring George - farmer

Dring Henry - bag hosier

Dring James - bag hosier

Dunthorne James - farmer

Footitt George - market gardener

Foster John - shopkeeper, Post Office

Griffiths John - Four Bells Public House

Hallam Henry - farmer

Henshaw Bros. - grocers, & at Lambley

Hogg Charles - market gardener

Housely William - Punch Bowl Public House

Kelk John - farmer

Kelk John Robinson - cowkeeper

200 sittings. Cemetery of one acre (since enlarged) was formed in 1879, at a cost of £300; it has a lych gate but no chapel. the poor have £3 10s. yearly. The people are employed in framework knitting. Woodborough was a Roman settlement. Woodborough Hall, the seat of Charles Hose Hill Esq., J.P., is a very ancient mansion standing on a pleasant lawn at the extreme end of the village. The ecclesiastical commissioners are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are Mrs Benson of Nottingham; Sir Charles Seely, Bart. of Sherwood Lodge, Arnold; Francis Ley Esq. of Epperstone Manor; W.L. Huskinson Esq. of Epperstone and William Bradshaw Esq. of Nottingham. The soil is clay and sand; sub-soil, clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans and peas; plums and strawberries are also largely grown. The area is 1944 acres; rateable value is £3,801; the population in 1901 was 722.

Woodborough Dumble is 2.5 miles west.

Parish Clerk, William Foster

Post Office - John Foster, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Nottingham at 6.50 a.m; despatched at 7 p.m. Postal orders are issued and paid here. The nearest money order and telegraph office is at Epperstone 1.5 miles distant.

Public elementary school, built in 1878, at a cost of £1,600 for 200 children; average attendance 130; the school has an income of £74 yearly, left by the Rev’d M. Wood in 1706 and a house for the master; George Biggs, master.

Carriers to Nottingham - John Leafe and John North, Wednesdays and Saturdays.



Leafe John - carrier

Leafe Joseph Richard - beer retailer

Lowth George - farm bailiff to John A. Blagg Esq.

Marriott Joseph - shopkeeper

Marshall Willie - New Inn & market gardener

Mellows Thomas Robert - baker

Middup William - farmer

North John - coal dealer & carrier

North William - shopkeeper

Nurcombe Thomas Arthur - joiner & wheelwright

Patching William - bricklayer

Plumb John - market gardener

Pollard John - tailor

Poole John - farmer

Richardson Ann Mrs - shopkeeper

Richardson Bish - grocer & market gardener

Richardson William - market gardener

Robinson Edward - bag hosier

Roe John - market gardener

Sears John - Nags Head Public House

Slancy Frank - farmer

Spouge Fred - blacksmith

Southern William - market gardener

Stevenson James - farmer

Tomlinson Martha Mrs - butcher

Turtle John - farmer

Ward Herbert - farmer

Ward Richardson - wheelwright

White Frederick Herbert - butcher

White John - market gardener

Next page Back to top