www.woodborough-heritage.org.uk     l     Woodborough Photographic Recording Group © 2017      |     Terms of use   

Woodborough’s Heritage

Woodborough, an ancient Sherwood Forest Village recorded in Domesday



Kelly’s Directory 1908

Woodborough is a parish and large, straggling village 6½ miles north north-east of Nottingham, 3½ miles north-west from Lowdham station on the Nottingham and Lincoln line of the Midland Railway, in the Rushcliffe division of the county, Wapentake of Thurgarton, Basford Union, Nottingham Petty Sessional division and County Court district, rural deanery of Gedling, arch-deanery of Nottingham and diocese of Lincoln. The church of St Swithun is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a low embattled western tower with four pinnacles and containing 4 bells, dating from 1612 to 1630, and clock: there are remains of a good Norman doorway: the chancel is Decorated and the tower of Perpendicular date, the nave and aisles being in a later and debased style: the chancel retains very fine sedilia, an aumbry on the north side, and on either side of the communion table are stone brackets (with figures of Edward III and his queen): some remains of the oaken rood screen still exist and a few specimens of ancient stained glass: the east window is also stained: the font is Norman: the church plate includes a chalice and alms-dish, dated 1676, and a flagon of 1802: the church was restored during the period 1891-97, at a cost of £2600, and affords 200 sittings: the church yard is now closed. The registers date 1547 for baptisms, 1573 for marriages and 1572 for burials, and are in good condition. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £250, with 55 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Manchester, and held since 1897 by the Rev’d Samuel Bond MA of Magdalene College, Cambridge. The Baptist chapel, built in 1832, has 200 sittings, and there are Primitive Methodists and Wesleyan chapels.


Bond Rev’d Samuel MA - Vicarage

Brett Edward

Hill Charles Hose JP - Woodborough Hall

Penny Reginald Wilson   

Shipside Thomas - The Yews

Skipworth Edwin


Commercial

Alvey Joseph - Boot repairer

Bish Herbert - Bag hosier

Bish John - Market gardener

Blagg John Alfred - Farmer and cattle dealer

Burnett Arthur - Stud Farm

Burton John E. - Market gardener

Clayton Joseph - Clerk to the cemetery

Bradley Selina Miss - Manageress Co-operative Stores Limited

Dixon Arthur H - Grocer

Donnelly Mark - Framesmith

Dring George - Farmer

Dring Henry - Bag hosier

Dring James - Bag hosier

Dunthorne James - Farmer

Footitt George - Market gardener

Foster Arthur - Market gardener

Foster Charles Ernest - Shopkeeper and Post Office

Griffiths Lydia Mrs - Four Bells Public House

Hallam Henry - Farmer

Hallam William - Smith

Hogg Charles - Market gardener

Hogg William - Joiner

A cemetery of 1 acre was formed in 1879, at a cost of £300, and has since been enlarged: it has a lych gate but no chapel. The poor have £3 10s yearly. The people are employed in framework knitting. Woodborough was a Roman settlement.  Woodborough Hall, the seat of Charles Hose Hill Esq. JP is a very ancient mansion standing on a pleasant lawn and the extreme end of the village. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are Mrs Benson of Nottingham; Sir Charles Seely bart. of Sherwood Lodge, Arnold; Sir Francis Ley bart. of Epperstone Manor; Messrs T.W and C.I.Huskisson of Epperstone, and William Bradshaw Esq. of Nottingham. The soil is clay and sand; subsoil, clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans and peas: plums and strawberries are also largely grown. Their area is 1944 acres; rateable value, is £3827; the population in 1901 was 722.

Woodborough Dumble is 2½ miles west.


Parish Clerk William Foster.

Post Office Charles Ernest Foster, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive through Nottingham at 6.50 a.m. and 3.20 p.m. (to callers); no Sunday delivery; despatched at 1 and 6.55 p.m. Epperstone 1½ miles distant, is the nearest money order and telegraph office.

Public Elementary School, built in 1878, a cost of £1600 for 189 children; average attendance, 130; the school has an income of £74 yearly, left by the Rev’d. M. Wood in 1706 and a house for the master; John T. Gee, master.

Carriers to Nottingham―John Leafe and John North, Wednesdays and Saturdays.


Kelk John - Farmer

Kelk John Robinson - Cow keeper

Leafe John - Carrier

Leafe Joseph Richard - Beer retailer

Lovitt Thomas - Farmer

Marriott Joseph - Shopkeeper

Marshall William - New Inn and Market gardener.

Mellows Thomas Robert - Baker

North John - Coal dealer and carrier

Nurcombe Thomas Arthur - Joiner and wheelwright

Patching William - Bricklayer

Pollard John - Tailor

Poole John - Farmer

Poole John P - Farmer, Bank Farm.

Richardson Anne Mrs - Shopkeeper

Richardson Bish - Grocer and Market gardener

Richardson William - Market gardener

Ridgard William Henry - Newsagent

Robinson Edward - Bag hosier

Roe John - Market garden

Sears John - Nags Head Public House

Slaney Frank - Farmer

Southern William - Market gardener

Stevenson James - Farmer

Tomlinson, Martha Mrs - Butcher

Turtle John - Farmer

Ward Elizabeth Mrs - Wheelwright

Ward Herbert - Farmer

White Frederick Herbert - Butcher

White John - Market gardener

Next page Back to top