www.woodborough-heritage.org.uk     l     Woodborough Photographic Recording Group © 2017      |     Terms of use   

Woodborough’s Heritage

Woodborough, an ancient Sherwood Forest Village recorded in Domesday



Kelly’s Directory 1912

Woodborough is a parish and large, straggling village 6½ miles north north-east of Nottingham, 3½ miles north-west from Lowdham station on the Nottingham and Lincoln line of the Midland Railway, in the Rushcliffe division of the county, Wapentake of Thurgarton, Basford Union, Nottingham Petty Sessional division and County Court district, rural deanery of Gedling, arch-deanery of Nottingham and diocese of Lincoln. The church of St Swithun is an edifice of stone consisting of chancel, nave, aisles with porch and a low embattled western tower with four pinnacles containing four bells, dating from 1612 to 1680 and a clock; there are remains of a good Norman doorway; the chancel is Decorated and tower of Perpendicular date, the nave and aisles being in a later and debased style. The chancel retains very fine sedilia, an aumbry on the north side and on either side of the communion table are stone brackets with figures of Edward III and his queen. Some remains of the oaken rood screen still exists and a few specimens of ancient stained glass, the east window in also stained. The font is Norman; the church plate includes a chalice and alms dish dated 1676 and a flagon of 1802. The church was restored during the period 1891-2 at a cost of £2600 and affords 200 sittings. The churchyard is now closed. A cemetery of one acre was opened in 1879 which has a lych gate but no chapel. Living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £250 with 55 acres of glebe and residence in the gift of the Bishop of Manchester and held since 1912 by the Rev’d John Birch-Jones BD of St David’s College, Lampeter. The Baptist Chapel built in 1832




Blake Stacey - Old Manor House

Freeman Charles HD   

Hill Charles Hose JP - Woodborough Hall

Birch-Jones Rev’d John  BD - Vicarage

Shipside Thomas - The Yews

Skipworth Edwin       


Commercial

Alvey Joseph - Boot repairer

Baggaley Tom - Farmer

Ball Thomas - Grocer

Bish Herbert - Bag hosier

Bishop Alfred - Market gardener

Burnett Arthur - Stud farm

Burton Albert Edward - Market gardener

Clayton Joseph - Cemetery Clerk

Bradley Selina Miss - Manageress Cooperative Stores Ltd

Donnelly Mark - Framesmith and teacher of music

Dring George - Farmer

Dring James - Bag hosier

Dunthorne Arthur - Farmer

Dunthorne James - Farmer

Footitt George - Market gardener

Foster Arthur - Market gardener

Foster Charles Ernest - Market gardener, Post Office

Griffiths Lydia Mrs - Four Bells public house

Hallam Henry - Farmer

Hogg Charles - Market gardener

Hogg William - Joiner


has 200 sittings and there are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Chapels. Poor have £3. 10s. Yearly. The people are employed in framework knitting. This was a Roman settlement. Woodborough Hall, seat of Charles Hose Hill Esq, JP, is a very ancient mansion situated on a pleasant lawn at the extreme end of the village. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. Principle landowners are Mrs Benson of Nottingham; Sir Charles Seeley, bart, of Sherwood Lodge, Arnold; Sir Francis Ley, bart. of Epperstone Manor; Messrs. T.W. and C.I. Huskisson of Epperstone and William Bradshaw of Nottingham. Soil is clay and sand, sub-soil clay and sand. Chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans and peas. Area is 1944 acres. Rateable value is £3900, population in 1901 is 702. Woodborough Dumble is 2½ miles west.

Parish Clerk – William Foster


Post Office – Charles Ernest Foster sub-postmaster, letters arrive through Nottingham at 6.50 a.m. and 3 p.m. (to callers); no Sunday delivery, despatched at 1 and 6.55 p.m.

Epperstone 1½ miles distant is the nearest money order and telegraph office.


Public Elementary School built in 1878 at a cost of £1600 for 189 children, average attendance 120.

The school has an income of £74 yearly left by Rev’d. M. Wood in 1706 and a house for the master. John T. Gee master. Carriers to Nottingham John Leafe and John North Wednesdays and Saturdays.


Commercial continued

Kelk John - Farmer

Kelk John Robinson - Cow keeper

Leafe John - Carrier

Leafe Joseph Richard - Beer retailer

Lovitt Thomas - Farmer

Marriott Joseph - Shopkeeper

Marshall Willie - New Inn

Mellows Thomas Robert - Baker

Middup William - Farmer

Morley John - Cow keeper

North John - Carrier and coal dealer

Nurcombe Thomas Arthur - Joiner

Patching William - Bricklayer

Pollard William - Tailor

Poole John - Farmer

Poole John P - Farmer, Bank Farm

Richardson Bish - Grocer

Richardson William - Market gardener

Ridgard William Henry - Newsagent

Robinson Edward - Bag hosier

Roe Samuel - Market gardener

Sears John - Nags Head public house

Southern William - Market gardener

Spencer David - Market gardener and assistant overseer

Stevenson James - Farmer

Taylor William - Threshing machine owner

Tomlinson Martha Mrs - Butcher

Turtle John - Farmer

Ward Herbert - Farmer

White John - Market gardener

Back to top Next page