www.woodborough-heritage.org.uk     l     Woodborough Photographic Recording Group © 2017      |     Terms of use   

Woodborough’s Heritage

Woodborough, an ancient Sherwood Forest Village recorded in Domesday



Kelly’s Directory 1916



Woodborough is a parish and large, straggling village 6½ miles north, north-east of Nottingham, 3½ north-west from Lowdham station on the Nottingham and Lincoln line of the Midland Railway, in the Rushcliffe Division of the County, Wapentake of Thurgarton, Basford Union, Nottingham Petty Sessional division and County Court district, rural deanery of Gedling, arch-deanery of Nottingham and diocese of Lincoln. The church of St Swithun is an edifice of stone consisting of chancel, nave, aisles with porch and a low embattled western tower with four pinnacles containing four bells, dating from 1612 to 1680 and a clock; there are remains of a good Norman doorway; the chancel is Decorated and tower of Perpendicular date, the nave and aisles being in a later and debased style. The chancel retains very fine sedilia, an aumbry on the north side and on either side of the communion table are stone brackets with figures of Edward III and his queen. Some remains of the oaken rood screen still exist and a few specimens of ancient stained glass, the east window is also stained. The font is Norman; the church plate includes a chalice and alms dish dated 1676 and a flagon of 1802. The church was restored during the period 1891-2 at a cost of £2600 and affords 200 sittings. The church yard is now closed. A cemetery of 1 acre was opened in 1879 which has a lych gate but no chapel. Living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £250 with 55 acres of glebe and residence in the gift of the Bishop of Manchester and held since 1912 by the Rev’d John Birch-Jones BD of St David’s College, Lampeter.




Hill, Charles Hose – Woodborough Hall

Rev’d John Birch-Jones – Vicarage

Thomas Shipside – The Yews


Principal Landowners

Mrs Benson

Sir Charles Hilton Seeley (Bart)

Sir Henry Gordon Lee (Bart)

Charles Hose Hill JP

T W & C I Huskisson


Commercial

Alvey Joseph - boot repairer           

Baggaley Tom - farmer          

Bish Herbert - bag hosier           

Burton Albert Edward -market gardener      

Cemetery - Joseph Clayton (clerk)          

Cook Joseph - market gardener           

Co-operative Stores Ltd

Dring Mrs Ann - farmer           

Dring Joseph - bag hosier            

Dunthorne Arthur - farmer        

Dunthorne Francis - farmer         

Footitt George - market gardener          

Foster Arthur - market gardener            

Foster Charles Ernest - market gardener     

Foster James - market gardener & post office            

Hallam Henry - farmer            

Hogg Charles - market gardener

Hogg William - joiner  

The Baptist Chapel built in 1832 has 200 sittings and there are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Chapels. Poor have £3.10s. yearly. The people are employed in frame knitting. This was a Roman settlement. Woodborough Hall, seat of Charles Hose Hill Esq. JP, is a very ancient mansion situated on a pleasant lawn at the extreme end of the village. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are Lords of the Manor. Principle landowners are Mrs Benson of Nottingham; Sir Charles Seeley, Bart, of Sherwood Lodge, Arnold; Sir Francis Ley, Bart, of Epperstone Manor; Messrs T.W. and C.I. Huskisson of Epperstone and William Bradshaw of Nottingham. Soil is clay and sand, sub-soil clay and sand. Chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans and peas. Area is about 1944 acres. Rateable value is £3900. Population in 1901 is 702. Woodborough Dumbles is 2½ miles west.

Parish Clerk -  William Foster

Post Office - Charles Ernest Foster, Sub-Postmaster, Letters arrive through Nottingham at 6.50 a.m. and 3 p.m. (to callers); no Sunday delivery. Despatched at 1 and 6.55 p.m. Epperstone 1½ miles distant is the nearest money order and telegraph office.

Public elementary school built in 1878 at a cost of £1600 for 189 children, average attendance 120.

The school has an income of £74 yearly left by Rev’d M. Wood in 1706 and a house for the master. John T. Gee Master.

Carriers to Nottingham - John Leafe and John North Wednesdays and Saturdays.



Kelk John - farmer          

Kelk John Robinson - cow keeper


Commercial continued     

Leafe John - carrier            

Leafe Joseph Richard - beer retailer      

Lovitt Thomas - farmer

Marriott Joseph - shopkeeper        

Marshall Willie - New Inn          

Mellows Thomas - baker        

Middup William - farmer        

Morley John - cow keeper            

North William - joiner           

Nurcombe Thomas Arthur - coal dealer   

Poole Arthur (Bank Farm) - joiner

Poole John - farmer          

Rhodes Whysall - farmer       

Richardson Bish - grocer       

Richardson William - grocer       

Robinson Edward - market gardener      

Roe Samuel - bag hosier            

Sears John - market gardener           

Spencer David - Nags Head public house & assistant overseer    

Stevenson John - farmer       

Taylor George - newsagent          

Taylor William - Four Bells public house Taylor William - threshing machine owner Tomlinson Martha - butcher      

Turtle John - farmer

Ward Herbert - farmer        

Next page Back to top